Oreo & pudding filled Chocolate Spider Trifle is creamy and spooky. It is a perfect show-stopper for Halloween!
Fun and festive Halloween desserts like this chocolate spider trifle are a must!! We also can’t go without making Graveyard Dirt Cake, Chocolate Pudding Spider Pies, and Gummy Worm Jello Cups for any and all Halloween festivities.
Creepy Halloween trifle
Today’s recipe is one that I’ve been wanting to make for awhile. My family loved my Grasshopper Trifle so much that I decided to make a Halloween version that was just chocolate and involved some 8-legged friends.
The result? A Chocolate Spider Trifle that was a huge hit! The family loved this Halloween dessert and have already requested it again.
The best part about this recipe is it can be enjoyed all year long. Just leave off the Hershey’s syrup web and spider and top with some crushed Oreos, and you’re set!
This trifle is also great because it feeds a ton and is great for Halloween parties and events. If you’re all for simple and delicious chocolate desserts, this one is for you.
How to make it
CAKE. Make cake as directed on box. Let cool and cut into cubes.
PUDDING. Make pudding by mixing pudding mixes and milk. Add half the Cool Whip and mix well. Set aside.
LAYER. Add half the cake cubes to the bottom of the trifle dish and add half the crushed Oreos. Spread on half the pudding cream mixture and repeat layers. Top with remaining Cool Whip.
GARNISH + ENJOY!! Carefully add Hershey’s Syrup to the top starting in the middle and swirl around in circles until you get to the edges. Using a toothpick, draw out lines from the center to create syrup web. Add spider. ENJOY!
Tips + Variations
To serve, use a large spoon with a long handle to get all of the layers into a single serving. You can also make individual trifles using clear 8-10 oz cups.
To make this spider trifle more chocolate-y you could use dark chocolate pudding mix, and/or triple chocolate fudge cake mix.
I love how simply cute and delicious this turned out to be, but I have thought of some other variations you might like to try:
- If you have the time, use a homemade chocolate cake
- To save even more time buy an unfrosted chocolate cake from the bakery
- Replace the chocolate cake with an orange cake mix to add a pop of color.
- Use brownie instead of cake
- Use orange Halloween Oreos and break into chunks
- Sprinkle chopped nuts, chocolate chips or crushed butterfinger over the layers for a bit of crunch
- Add ghost and pumpkin peeps around the perimeter of the glass bowl then fill with the cake and pudding mix
- Use edible spiders to put on top
- Divide the ingredients into individual sized plastic cups. Add a spiderweb and a spider ring to the top of each cup.
Assemble the chocolate spider trifle a few hours before serving and store it covered in the fridge. You could probably get away with assembling it the night before, but any further than that and the cake can become soggy and pudding may lose some of its texture.
You can, however, make the ingredients further ahead and store them separately until it’s time to assemble the trifle.
STORE leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.
For some tasty Halloween Drinks:
- Witches Brew
- Boo-Nilla Ghost Milkshakes
- Slushy Punch
- Ghoul Aid
- Witches Potions Drink
- Halloween Hot Chocolate
Halloween Spider Trifle Recipe
- 1 box chocolate cake mix plus ingredients on back
- 6.6 oz instant chocolate pudding mix
- 3 cups milk
- 1 large container cool whip 16 oz.
- 1 package Oreos
- Hershey’s Syrup
- Plastic spider
- Make cake as directed on box. Let cool and cut into cubes.
- Make pudding by mixing pudding mixes and milk. Add half the Cool Whip and mix well. Set aside.
- Add half the cake cubes to the bottom of the trifle dish and add half the crushed Oreos. Spread on half the pudding cream mixture and repeat layers.
- Top with remaining Cool Whip.
- Carefully add Hershey's Syrup to the top starting in the middle and swirl around in circles until you get to the edges. Using a toothpick, draw out lines from the center to create syrup web. Add spider. ENJOY!