This is a sponsored post written on behalf of Scholastic. As always, all opinions are 100% my own.
Boo-nilla Ghost Milkshakes are delicious vanilla treats turned into adorable ghosts that are perfect for Halloween!
Who’s excited for Halloween?
We sure are! I’ve got another festive Halloween recipe for you today, and it couldn’t be easier to make!
I thought it would be fun to celebrate the release of Raina Telgemeier’s new book Ghosts with a sweet and spooky frozen treat.
Telgemeier is the #1 New York Times bestselling, multiple Eisner Award-winning author of Smile, Drama and Sisters. She’s created a moving and insightful story about the power of family and friendship, and how it gives us the courage to do what we never thought possible. Ghosts is a whimsical graphic novel full of Mexican culture and traditions. It’s a powerful book for young readers and perfect for this time of year!
I love that the book takes place in a city called Bahía de la Luna since Luna is our family name. This is where the ghosts live, so I thought it would be great to make some delicious Ghost milkshakes to celebrate the release of this new book, thus Boo-nilla milkshakes were born!
BLEND. In a blender, combine the ice cream, milk and vanilla extract. Blend until smooth.
COMBINE. In a medium size mixing bowl with a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form.
ENJOY! Divide the milkshake between the glasses. Cut the corner of a large Ziploc bag and pipe a swirl on top. Serve immediately.
Note. If you want to get extra creative you can dip the rim of the glass into lemon juice or water and then sprinkles, it looks extra cute 🙂
Tips + Variations
If you want to use a glass jar for the cute milkshakes, but are worried about using permanent marker for just one treat Don’t worry! My favorite way is to use a white magic eraser, but here are a few other ways I came across that you can try to remove the marker:
- Alcohol based hand sanitizer
- Rubbing alcohol
- Acetone nail polish remover
- Make a paste using toothpaste and baking soda
We loved the simple way the classic vanilla milkshake paired with the ghost concept, but you can easily change things up depending on your taste:
- Use crushed Oreos to dip the top of jar in
- Blend in a banana or other treats
- Add 1-2 tbsp of malt powder before blending
- Use a different flavor of white ice cream such as birthday cake or cookies and cream
Making the milkshake to your desired texture is quite easy. For a thicker shake reduce the amount of milk. For a thinner texture increase the amount of milk.
More Halloween Themed Drinks:
More Collections: Holiday Drink Recipes
Boo-nilla Ghost Milkshakes Recipe
- 4 cups vanilla bean ice cream
- 1 1/2-1 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a blender, combine the ice cream, milk and vanilla extract. Blend until smooth.
- In a medium size mixing bowl with a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form.
- Divide the milkshake between the glasses. Cut the corner of a large ziploc bag and pipe a swirl on top. Serve immediately.