Gooey marshmallow Crack Rice Krispies filled with caramel are an addicting version of Rice Krispies that will leave you wanting more!!
Perfectly gooey sweet treat
Have you ever asked someone for a recipe and they said no? It’s happened to me more than once. Apparently, people like to keep and hoard some of their “secret” recipes which I think is pretty ridiculous… why not share the wealth, right?!
Well, fortunately, my mom is pretty close to most of the ladies at church so when she asked her friend, Lori, for her recipe for Crack Rice Krispies, she was more than happy to share (Thank you, Lori!!) I was also happy she was willing to share because we LOVE trying out new recipes, and this next one is filled with gooey goodness.
We make Rice Krispies on a regular basis but this recipe takes them to the next level! More butter, caramels and sweetened condensed milk make these Rice Krispies something you’ll definitely be addicted to. 🙂
Easy layered rice krispies
HEAT. Place caramels, sweetened condensed milk and½ C butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 3 minutes.
Rice Krispie Layer:
COMBINE. In another bowl, melt 6 TB butter with 4 cups marshmallows for 1 minute. Stir until smooth and pour over 5 cups of Rice Krispies.
SPREAD. Stir until cereal is well coated and pour into a greased 9×13 pan.
CHILL. Sprinkle 2 cups of miniature marshmallows on top of cereal mixture. Carefully pour caramel mixture over marshmallows. Refrigerate to set up.
REPEAT. After the mixture has set, repeat step 2 to make the top Rice Krispie layer. Press on top of chilled caramel layer. Chill until firm. Makes 12-15 servings.
Tips + Storing Info
Sweetened Condensed Milk: I live in an area where we have well stocked grocery stores on almost every corner and it’s rare that I can’t find an ingredient. However, I know not everyone lives in such an area. Many times you can order ingredients online, but even with speedy Amazon delivery sometimes you just don’t want to wait. You’re in luck I have a couple of ways that you can make a good substitute for sweetened condensed milk:
- Use evaporated milk: In a saucepan combine 1 ½ cups of sugar and 12 ounces of evaporated milk and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is slightly thickened. Allow to cool.
- Use nonfat powdered milk: Using a blender add in 1 cup boiling water, ¼ cup butter or margarine and 2 cups white sugar. Blend until combined. Measure out 4 cups of powdered milk. Blend in 1 cup at a time. Use 1 ⅓ cup of this homemade mix in place of 14 oz of canned sweetened condensed milk. Store excess S.C. Milk in the fridge.
Premade caramel sauce: We like to take caramels and make our own sauce with sweetened condensed milk because we can easily create the perfect texture needed for this recipe. However, you can use premade caramel sauce knowing the finished product may differ bit.
- Always use fresh marshmallows
- Be sure you don’t overheat the marshmallow.
- Be careful that you don’t pack the rice krispie layer too tightly
- Use chocolate rice krispies
- Add shredded coconut flakes to the rice krispie mixture
STORE the rice krispies in a covered container at room temperature for about a week.
FREEZE rice krispies after wrapping them in plastic wrap and then in a layer of foil. Freeze them for up to 3 months and then. To eat, allow them to sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes first. They won’t be as soft as freshly made ones, but they’re still super flavorful.
Not sure how I’ll go back to just regular Rice Krispies Treats after trying this recipe!
For more Rice Krispies goodness, be sure to check out these recipes:
- Chex Scotcharoos
- White Chocolate Blondies
- Rice Krispie Balls
- Chocolate Caramel Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Treats
Crack Rice Krispies Recipe
- 14 oz KRAFT Caramels unwrapped
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup butter
Rice Krispie Layer
- 10 cups Rice Krispies divided
- 10 cups mini marshmallows divided
- 12 Tb butter divided
- Place caramels, sweetened condensed milk and½ C butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 3 minutes.
Rice Krispie Layer
- In another bowl, melt 6 TB butter with 4 cups marshmallows for 1 minute. Stir until smooth and pour over 5 cups of Rice Krispies.
- Stir until cereal is well coated and pour into a greased 9x13 pan.
- Sprinkle 2 cups of miniature marshmallows on top of cereal mixture. Carefully pour caramel mixture over marshmallows. Refrigerate to set up.
- After the mixture has set, repeat step 2 to make the top Rice Krispie layer. Press on top of chilled caramel layer.
- Chill until firm. Makes 12-15 servings.
This Post is Brought to you by: