Delicious, simple and quick 4th of July Rice Krispie Treats. These red, white and blue treats are always a hit, and are festive for any patriotic occasion.
Red White and Blue Rice treats
Whenever I need to make a last-minute treat, I always opt for Rice Krispie Treats, because A) I always have the ingredients on hand and B) They are SO easy and yummy!! With summer months and patriotic holidays upon us, I wanted to give you a quick, easy, and festive treat to take to all the BBQ’s, parties, and get togethers!
I used some red and blue food coloring to create these patriotic layers, and I love how they turned out! It was only a tiny bit of additional effort, but it was so worth the extra few minutes. For how simple they are to make, they look pretty impressive! And you really can’t go wrong with rice krispies.
Making 4th of July Rice Krispies
Start by separating your cereal and marshmallows into three (2 cups of rice krispies, and about 2 cups of marshmallows). You’re going to make one layer at a time.
Put the marshmallows in microwave safe bowls, and add 1 Tbsp margarine to each. Microwave one at a time for a few minutes until the marshmallows start to expand. Make sure they don’t overflow!
In one bowl, mix in blue food coloring, and mix red in another. TIP: I used food coloring gel to make the colors really vibrant. Regular food coloring will be a lot less colorful. Add 2 cups of rice krispies to each bowl and stir with a rubber spatula until all the cereal is well coated.
Layer the cereal in a glass baking dish in whatever order you like (we started with blue, white, then red). TIP: To press the layers in evenly, you can use a sheet of wax paper on top of the marshmallow covered cereal, and then press with your hands. That way your hands don’t get so messy and the rice krispies won’t stick to you.
Let all the layers cool before cutting into squares. Enjoy!
More rice krispie treat Tips/ideas
- Stovetop: I prefer the ease of microwaving the marshmallows, but if you would rather use the stove, by all means, you can! I would still recommend doing the three layers separately, that way you ensure each layer has the same amount of marshmallow coating.
- What size pan? I use an 8×8 or a 9×9 glass pan. You can use 9×13, but the treats will be thinner. You can also double the recipe and use a 9×13 pan for more thick rice krispie treats.
- Shaped Treats: You can use cookie cutters once the layers are cooled to cut out different shapes. I think stars would be fun for the 4th of July!
I hope you love this easy Fourth of July dessert as much as my family does!
For more patriotic treats, check out:
4th of July Rice Krispies Treat Recipe
Delicious, simple and quick 4th of July Rice Krispies Treats. These red, white and blue treats are always a hit, and are festive for any patriotic occasion.
- 6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal (divided)
- 16 oz marshmallows (divided)
- 3 tbsp margarine or butter (divided)
- Food Coloring (red and blue/turquoise - I like Betty Crocker Gel Food Colors because the colors are brighter)
Gather your supplies and divide the Rice Krispies and marshmallows in three for the three layers (2 cups Rice Krispies and about 2 cups marshmallows).
- Add marshmallows to a microwave safe bowl along with the margarine (1 TB) for a few minutes or until they start to get big and almost touch the top of the microwave. Take them out, stir well and add the food coloring. (We started with the blue, then no food coloring and then the red).
- Then add 2 cups of Rice Krispies and stir well. Press into well greased 9x9 pan (a 9x13 works but makes thinner treats).
- Repeat with no food coloring and then the red food coloring layer. Let set and ENJOY!