We recently got together with some friends and I wanted to bring a last-minute treat to share with everyone. The treat I always think of when I have little time is Rice Krispies Treats, because A) I always have the ingredients on hand and B) They are easy and yummy!!
To change things up I decided to do make them a little patriotic and did Fourth of July Rice Krispies Treats. I had seen the idea on Pinterest via Cookie Madness but wanted to make my layers a lot more vibrant. I was able to do that with the right food coloring, and I LOVE how they turned out!!
It only added a few more minutes to the already quick and easy dessert, but made them look super festive and fun.
So festive and fun for the fourth. And best of all – EASY!
How to make Rice Krispies Treats Video:
Fourth of July Rice Krispies Treats:
- 6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal (divided)
- 1 package marshmallows (divided)
- 3 TB margarine or butter (divided)
- Food coloring (red and blue/turquoise - I like Betty Crocker Gel Food Colors because the colors are brighter)
- Gather your supplies and divide the Rice Krispies and marshmallows in three for the three layers (2 cups Rice Krispies and about 2 cups marshmallows).
- Add marshmallows to a microwave safe bowl along with the margarine (1 TB) for a few minutes or until they start to get big and almost touch the top of the microwave. Take them out, stir well and add the food coloring. (We started with the blue, then no food coloring and then the red).
- Then add 2 cups of Rice Krispies and stir well. Press into well greased 9x9 pan (a 9x13 works but makes thinner treats).
- Repeat with no food coloring and then the red food coloring layer. Let set and ENJOY!
For more patriotic treats, check out: