Everyone loves the funnel cakes from the carnivals and fair. Now you can make them at home with this easy funnel cake recipe that is delicious and can be topped with powdered sugar, fruit, whipped cream, chocolate, caramel or all of the above!
Homemade Funnel Cake
It’s no secret that my family loves food. So much of what we do revolves around it, and there are just so many recipes that have become family favorites over the years. This next recipe for Homemade Funnel Cakes happens to be one of those. It’s one we have at least every other month as we gather on Sunday nights to let the cousins play and to have an extended family dinner. We especially crave this mouth-watering Funnel cake recipe in the fall when it cools down, but that doesn’t mean we don’t make them all year long – because we do. 😉
MY LATEST VIDEOS
We’ve been using this Funnel Cakes recipe for as long as I can remember, and it’s something my sister, Kellyn, is usually making for everyone for our Sunday treat. Half of us like it with powdered sugar while the other half loves it with a homemade fudge sauce (being shared later today). Although we don’t go to the fair often to have these guys, it’s a treat we ALWAYS get when we go to Disneyland each year, and I’m happy to say we can still enjoy that treat at home.
Our favorite funnel cake sauce – homemade hot fudge sauce!!
Funnel Cake Ingredients
We love that we always have the ingredients for the funnel cake batter on hand. Yes, that does make it more of a temptation to make often, but they’re worth it!! Here are the basic funnel cake ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe:
- baking powder
- oil for frying
How to Make Funnel Cake
Once you have the ingredients gathered, making the funnel cakes are fairly simple. Just do the following:
- Pour vegetable oil in a frying pan (about 1 inch high) on medium – high heat.
- Pour all the ingredients into a bowl and whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into a funnel or squeeze bottle (if using a funnel, block the tip of it with your finger before pouring). 😉 Position funnel over the hot oil and slowly squeeze batter in a circular and criss-cross motion over the oil OR move your finger so batter comes out in a steady stream. Make circular and crisscross motions to form a funnel cake.
- Using tongs, flip the funnel cake so each side is browned. Remove to a paper towel to drain.
- Enjoy with desired toppings, such as powdered sugar or chocolate sauce or fruit.
So simple and so delicious!
Tips for Making Funnel Cake:
We’ve been making these for so long that they’ve become go-to treats in the family. We want them to be the same for your family, so here are some of our best tips for making homemade funnel cakes:
- The oil needs to be HOT! If you want it to cook properly, be sure to use hot oil so that it cooks quickly and starts to make the funnel cake strands we all know and love.
- Squeeze Bottles actually work better than funnels. Find an old ketchup bottle or something similar that is clean that you can pour the batter into. It makes cooking the funnel cakes so much easier. 😉
- Use tongs and a spatula while cooking. Use the tongs to make sure the batter is submerged in the oil and use both the tongs and metal spatula to flip the cake. 😉
My mouth is watering just looking at this picture! With it being fall, you can definitely bet we’ll be making this ASAP (even though we like making it all year long.) As I mentioned we are more of the fudge sauce and powdered sugar type, but you can also top it with caramel or add a variety of berries and whipped cream on top. Either way you have it, I promise it will be enjoyed and devoured in about .2 seconds. 😉
For more fair food recipes, check out:
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups flour
- oil for frying
Pour vegetable oil in a frying pan (about 1 inch high) on medium high heat.
Mix ingredients into a smooth batter.
Poor batter into a funnel, blocking the tip of the funnel with your finger. Position funnel over the hot oil and slowly move your finger so batter comes out in a steady stream. Make circular and crisscross motions to form a funnel cake.
Using tongs, flip the funnel cake so each side is browned. Remove to a paper towel to drain.
Enjoy with desired toppings.
Stay tuned later today for the Homemade Fudge Sauce we make to go with it. My hubby eats it straight from the jar when it’s made because it’s just THAT good!!