Tender Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potato Bites are packed with sweet and savory flavor with just a hint of spice, making them a perfect bite-sized appetizer!
What appetizer spread is complete without a little bacon?! Get ‘er done with Bacon Wrapped Dates, Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Skewers, and these tender Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potato Bites.
A Sweet + Savory appetizer
I am a huge sweet potato fan!
They are sweet, starchy, and SO yummy cooked up. I love that they add a sweet element to savory dishes. They are great for substituting in meat dishes when you’re shooting for “meatless”.
Now, while I didn’t take all of the meat out of this dish, it is kind of a substitute or variation of the Bacon Wrapped Smokies. Both are delicious appetizers in my opinion.
Coating the sweet potatoes in cinnamon and cayenne add a bit of spice to this mouth-watering snack. You can always omit if you don’t prefer the bit of heat.
These Sweet Potatoes Bites wrapped in bacon are sweet, savory, and great for any party!
How to Make bacon wrapped sweet potato bites
PREP. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
SEASON. Melt the butter in a large, microwave safe bowl. Mix in the salt, cayenne, and cinnamon. Add the sweet potato cubes and toss until evenly coated.
ASSEMBLE. Wrap 1 piece of bacon around each potato cube and fasten with a toothpick. Place all the wrapped potatoes onto the baking sheet. Sprinkle with the brown sugar.*Alternative Tip: Place the brown sugar in a bowl and dip bacon strips on one or both sides in the brown sugar. Then, wrap the coated bacon around the sweet potato cubes.
BAKE. Bake for 38-40 minutes or until the bacon is crips and the potatoes are tender.
SERVE. If desired, dip the cubes in warm maple syrup.
Keep these tips in mind…
- Bacon: We found that we could cut our bacon into thirds and it was enough to wrap nicely around a potato cube. If you buy the thick cut bacon, you will need more than 1 lb to have enough to cover all of the sweet potato cubes.
- Brown Sugar: I sprinkled the brown sugar over the top of the wrapped cubes. I have also seen people dip the bacon strips in brown sugar before wrapping the sweet potato cubes. Either method works.
- Potato Coating: Add any spices you prefer or even grated Parmesan cheese. We loved the combo we used, but it can easily be changed based on the mix you coat the cubes in.
Can you make these ahead of time? Prepping these too far in advance gets a little tricky. Bacon needs to be refrigerated, but raw sweet potatoes don’t do well in cold environments.
If you want to assemble them ahead of time I suggest only keeping them in the fridge for a couple of hours before you need to add the brown sugar and bake them.
How to store? Store leftover cubes in an airtight container in the fridge.
Can you reheat? Yes, you can reheat these bites in the oven. If you are in a hurry you can use the microwave, but the bacon will not be as crisp.
For more Sweet Potato recipes:
- Sweet Potato Skins
- Sweet Potato Pie
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Sweet Potato Chili
- Pork Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potato Bites Recipe
- wooden toothpicks
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper optional
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 large sweet potatoes or 3 medium, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 lb bacon strips cut into thirds
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- maple syrup warmed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter in a large, microwave safe bowl. Mix in the salt, cayenne, and cinnamon.
- Add the sweet potato cubes and toss until evenly coated.
- Wrap 1 piece of bacon around each potato cube and fasten with a toothpick. Place all the wrapped potatoes onto the baking sheet. Sprinkle with the brown sugar.*Alternative Tip: Place the brown sugar in a bowl and dip bacon strips on one or both sides in the brown sugar. Then, wrap the coated bacon around the sweet potato cubes.
- Bake for 38-40 minutes or until the bacon is crips and the potatoes are tender.
- If desired, dip the cubes in warm maple syrup.
If you enjoy sweet potatoes this appetizer is for you. I really like them wrapped in bacon with a hint of sweetness.
Bacon makes everything taste better, even when you thought it couldn’t get better! These will be great for game day!!
Thank you so much for sharing this amazing bacon wrapped sweet potato bites recipe! Will surely have this again! It’s really easy to make and it tasted so delicious! Highly recommended!
These appetizers dont last long at our house. Making these for our next party! So simple to make too!
I made these and thought they tasted great. The saltiness of the bacon paired well with the sweet potato. I sprinkled the brown sugar mix on top and felt like it would hold better if I used the alternate tip which is to dip the bacon before wrapping. I’ll try that next because these are definitely worth making again and again.
Love this recipe. Be careful to use relatively large chunks of sweet potato so the bacon crisps but potatoes are not mush. I put brown sugar in a baggie and put skewers in and shake to cover the them. Cook on a broiler pan or rack so grease renders away.
Thanks for sharing that!!