This sweet and salty Birthday Cake Popcorn has a delicious cake batter flavor that is SO addicting! You can’t go wrong with white cake mix, vanilla, marshmallows, butter, and popcorn!!
Cake Batter Popcorn Gooey-ness
We have movie night every Friday as a family, and we love to have some yummy treat to go with it.
This past week, we made Birthday Cake Popcorn, and it was delicious!! It is gooey and had sprinkles and was a hit with all of the kids in the family.
It was also very simple to make, so you better believe we will be making this again.
Tips + Tricks
For making birthday cake popcorn:
- I add dry cake mix to the mixture, not prepared.
- This popcorn is sticky and can be a little messy (but so worth it) just keep this in mind when serving it.
- Use a lightly salted, plain or a lightly buttered popcorn for this recipe. I would avoid using a really buttered popcorn.
To make into popcorn balls: After the popcorn is completely coated, lightly grease your hands or get them wet and pack the popcorn into ball shapes. You will want to re-wet or re-grease (lightly) between each popcorn ball. This will help the popcorn from sticking.
Can this be made in advance? This popcorn is definitely best eaten soon after it is made. If you want to make it in advance I would suggest making it as close to when it will be eaten as possible but no more than 2 days ahead of time. After it is made, store it in an airtight container until ready to serve. You can also make them into individual servings and store in ziplock bags, just try to squeeze as much air out as you can.
How to store? Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
How to make for a crowd? If you are wanting to make this popcorn for a crowd and you’re worried about the sticky mess, just divide the popcorn into individual servings or have the guests scoop the popcorn out with a large serving spoon or measuring cup.
For more popcorn recipes, check out:
Birthday Cake Popcorn Recipe
- 2 tbsp butter
- 6 cups popcorn popped
- 3 cups marshmallows
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 cup white cake mix
Take kernels out from popcorn and pour into a bowl.
- In a medium pot, melt marshmallows and butter on medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Once marshmallows are completely melted, remove from heat and add vanilla, milk and cake mix. Stir until well combined and pour over popcorn.
- Stir until the popcorn is evenly coated and top with sprinkles. Let set. ENJOY!
Recipe adapted from The Endless Meal.