White chocolate M&M popcorn is salty and sweet snacking perfection! It is easy to make and even easier to eat.
A Movie Night Favorite
Every Friday night we have movie night. We pick out a new movie or favorite and we make popcorn (sometimes we make homemade Kettle Corn too!) or make a yummy treat.
Every once in awhile we get to make a special kind of popcorn. My favorite is this White Chocolate M&M Popcorn – and mostly because it’s sweet, salty and full of M&Ms. We love to change it up by adding different M&Ms!
The treat itself is very simple to make but is also great to bag and gift as gifts to neighbors and friends around the holidays.
How to Make White Chocolate Popcorn
POP. Start by popping the popcorn. When it’s done pour it into a bowl and try not to get any of the yucky kernels in it.
MELT. Break your candy coating into squares (it makes it melt better) and place in a pan on low heat. Stir until it is all melted.
COAT. Pour candy coating over the popcorn and mix until all the popcorn is coated.
TOPPINGS. Add M&Ms (however many you want) and spread out onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
COOL & ENJOY. Refrigerate for a bit but take out ½ hour before you eat it so it’s not so hard. ENJOY!
Ingredient Tips + Storing Info
If you want to air pop the popcorn to make this treat, instead of using microwave bags, you’ll need about ½ cup of kernels per microwave bag. Each cup of kernels will yield about 13 cups of popped corn.
I like to use bark or candy coating because it melts well, but you can also use white chocolate chips. Add a little coconut oil to help thin it out so it will coat the popcorn more smoothly. You can melt the coating in a saucepan on the stove.
- Set up a double boiler (a heat safe boil over a pot of simmering water). Stir constantly and make sure it doesn’t burn or clump up.
- You can place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and melt it in 30 second intervals stirring between.
This is delicious simply using M&Ms, but you can add any mix ins that you want. A few ideas include:
- mini pretzels
- different types of M&Ms like peanut butter, caramel, or even mint
- Sprinkles have fun coordinating with holidays
- If you want more of a crunch you can do half popcorn and half chex mix.
- Mini Oreos
- Mini marshmallows
STORE any leftovers in a Ziploc bag and keep at room temperature for up to a week. You can also stick the popcorn in the FREEZER. Allow the popcorn and candy to thaw before eating.
No matter how the popcorn is stored, the longer the popcorn is stored it may become slightly chewy as it can absorb some moisture from the candy coating, but it’s still delicious.
For more popcorn treats, try:
- Caramel Popcorn
- Caramel Marshmallow Popcorn
- Cookies and Cream Popcorn
- Popcorn Bars
- Birthday Cake Popcorn
White Chocolate Popcorn Recipe
- 1-2 bags Popcorn plain
- 24 oz Vanilla Bark or Candy Coating
- 1-2 cups M&M’s
- Start by popping the popcorn. When it's done pour it into a bowl and try not to get any of the yucky kernels in it.
- Break your candy coating into squares (it makes it melt better) and place in a pan on low heat. Stir until it is all melted.
- Pour candy coating over the popcorn and mix until all the popcorn is coated.
- Add M&Ms (however many you want) and spread out onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Refrigerate for a bit but take out ½ hour before you eat it so it's not so hard. ENJOY!