Whether you call it Puppy Chow or Muddy Buddies, you’ll love this recipe! It’s so easy to make and includes Chex cereal, powdered sugar, & yummy melted peanut butter and chocolate chips!!
Aka Muddy Buddies
This recipe is loved by many, but there’s a little bit of controversy surrounding the name of it. Some people call it “Puppy Chow”, while others call it “Muddy Buddies”. I’ve always called it Puppy Chow, but which side of the fence are you on?!
Regardless of what you call it, I think we can all agree that it’s one of the easiest, tastiest, and most addicting treats to ever exist! I wanted to share our version of it with you today because it’s just one of those snacks that is perfect for ANY get together, party, or holiday!
How to Make Puppy Chow
You can break the process down into three easy steps. This really takes less than 10 minutes to make, and that’s including gathering and measuring all of the ingredients!
CEREAL. Measure your cereal into a large bowl and set aside.
CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER. In 1 quart sauce pan, heat chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter over low heat stirring frequently until melted. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated.
POWDERED SUGAR. Pour into two gallon resealable plastic bags. Add powdered sugar. Seal bag and shake until well coated. Spread over waxed paper to cool.
- It may be tempting to add more cereal to the peanut butter sauce, but don’t. You want each piece of chex to have an ample amount of chocolaty peanut butter sauce for the sugar to stick to. If you like your mix extra saucy try reducing the Chex amount to only 7-8 cups.
- This recipe is for the basic puppy chow and can be mixed with so many yummy treats like marshmallows, nuts, pretzels, M&M’s, reeses pieces. You can also customize it to whatever holiday candy is being sold at the time.
Is puppy chow gluten free? Yes! Chex makes 7 cereals that are gluten free including the plain Rice Chex that are used in this recipe. This can also be made dairy free by using the right chocolate and a butter substitute like margarine. If you’re allergic to peanut butter you can use a different nut butter.
How to Store: Store puppy chow in an airtight container. It can stay at room temperature for up to 10 days, or kept in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. However, at my house it never lasts that long! You can also freeze it for up to 3 months. Allow it to thaw before eating.
Full disclosure: This little snack mix is ADDICTING! Once you start eating it, you can’t stop!! I also have to mention—be sure to tell your children it’s not actually for puppies. 😉
If you love Puppy Chow Chex Mix, you might like these other versions:
Puppy Chow Recipe
Our Favorite Puppy Chow Recipe!! So easy to make-which includes chex cereal, powdered sugar, & yummy melted peanut butter and chocolate chips!!
- 9 cups chex (any variety)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Into large bowl, measure cereal, set aside.
- In 1 quart sauce pan, heat chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter over low heat stirring frequently until melted.
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla.
- Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated.
- Pour into two gallon resealable plastic bags.
- Add powdered sugar.
- Seal bag and shake until well coated.
- Spread over waxed paper to cool.
- Store in airtight containers.