Salty & savory homemade Chex Mix is a best-loved snack. It’s perfect for storing and enjoying at home or on the go!
classic chex party mix – homemade!
This Chex Mix recipe is popping with flavor!! It bakes low and slow for crispy perfection, and tastes even better than the original Chex Mix recipe you pick up from the store.
The best part – it’s perfect for storing! Divide into smaller baggies, or store together in a larger container with a pour spout. Send the best Chex Mix recipe with your kids when they need a snack. It’s perfectly customizable for your likes, so have fun with it!
chex mix ingredients
For this recipe, we use only a handful of simple ingredients!
- Chex: Three kinds – corn, rice, and wheat!
- Nuts: We used mixed nuts, but if you have a specific preference, you could just include one kind.
- Pretzels: Bite sized pretzels are what we used, but any shape works great.
- Butter: Salted or unsalted!
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Seasonings: salt, garlic salt, and onion powder.
Other ingredients to include:
- Cheezits, Goldfish or other cheese cracker
- Plain or garlic flavored bagel chips
- Add pistachios, pecans, walnuts or extra peanuts or almonds.
- Use stick pretzels
- Replace some of the Chex Mix with plain Cheerios.
- Use Life Whole Grain Cereal or Crispix
- Add heat with red pepper flakes, chipotle flakes, chili powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper
how to make chex mix
PREP. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
MIX. In a large bowl, mix cereals, nuts and pretzels. Set aside.
MELT. In a small glass bowl, microwave butter until melted (about 30 seconds). Stir in seasonings and drizzle over cereal mixture. Toss until evenly coated.
BAKE. Spread onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake at 250 for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
COOL + STORE. Spread on paper towels to cool. And then store in an airtight container.
Alternate Cooking Methods
Homemade Chex Mix is best when baked in the oven, however there are a couple of other methods that you can try.
- In the microwave: Once you have evenly coated the Chex mix, place it in a microwave safe bowl and heat on High heat for 5-6 minutes. Stir every 2 minutes. Spread out on paper towels to cool.
- In a Crock Pot: Pour the coated mixture in a Crockpot. Cook on LOW heat for 3 hours. Stir the mixture every 30-45 minutes. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Once the mixture is done cooking, spread it in an even layer on the baking sheet to cool.
recipe tips + storage
Can you half the recipe for a smaller batch? This recipe makes about 12 cups of Chex Mix, for a smaller amount simply cut the ingredient amounts in half. All of the other instructions are the same including the baking instructions. Though with a smaller amount it may bake a little more quickly so keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn.
- It is really important that you stir the mixture every 15 minutes otherwise it will cook unevenly and burn.
- The mixture may be finished around 45 minutes so keep an eye on it during the last 15 minutes of bake time.
- Use UNsalted butter
- To help get an even coat, pour half of the butter mixture onto the Chex mix. Toss and then pour the rest of the butter on and toss again.
STORE: Keep the cooled Chex mix in an airtight container for up to 6 weeks. Store at room temperature.
FREEZE: For longer storage you can freeze the mix in Freezer Ziplocs for 4-6 months.
For more snack mixes, try:
Chex Mix Recipe
- 3⅓ cups Corn Chex™ cereal
- 3⅓ cups Rice Chex™ cereal
- 3⅓ cups Wheat Chex™ cereal
- 1 cup mixed nuts
- 1 cup bite-sized pretzels
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ teaspoons seasoned salt
- ¾ teaspoon garlic salt (with parsley flakes)
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix cereals, nuts and pretzels. Set aside.
- In a small glass bowl, microwave butter until melted (about 30 seconds). Stir in seasonings and drizzle over cereal mixture. Toss until evenly coated.
- Spread onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 250 for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Spread on paper towels to cool. And then store in an airtight container.