This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This salty & savory homemade original chex mix recipe is a best-loved snack. It’s perfect for storing and enjoying at home or on the go!
classic Chex Party Mix – Homemade!
This original Chex Mix recipe is popping with flavor!! It bakes low and slow for crispy perfection and tastes even better than the original Chex Mix recipe you pick up from the store.
The best part – it’s perfect for storing! Divide into smaller baggies, or store together in a larger container with a pour spout. Send this with your kids when they need a snack. It’s perfectly customizable for your likes, so have fun with it!
For this homemade Chex mix, we use only a handful of simple ingredients!
Chex. Three kinds – corn, rice, and wheat!
Nuts. We used mixed nuts, but if you have a specific preference, you could just include one kind.
Pretzels. Bite-sized pretzels are what we used, but any shape works great.
Butter. Salted or unsalted!
Seasonings. Salt, garlic salt, and onion powder.
Mix up this recipe for Chex Mix by switching out or adding any of these Chex Mix ingredients:
- Crackers/chips. Cheezits, Goldfish or other cheese cracker. Use plain or garlic flavored bagel chips or pretzel sticks.
- Nuts. Add pistachios, pecans, walnuts, or extra peanuts or almonds.
- Cereal. Replace some of the Chex Mix with plain Cheerios. Use Life Whole Grain Cereal or Crispix.
- Add heat with red pepper flakes, chipotle flakes, chili powder, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper.
how to Make Chex Mix
This savory Chex Mix recipe is simple to make, and perfect for sharing!
PREP. Preheat the oven to 250°F.
MIX. In a large bowl, mix cereals, nuts, and pretzels. Set aside.
MELT. In a small glass bowl, microwave butter until melted (about 30 seconds). Stir in seasonings and drizzle over cereal mixture. Toss until evenly coated.
BAKE. Spread onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
COOL + STORE. Spread on paper towels to cool. And then store in an airtight container.
Alternate Cooking Methods
Traditional Chex Mix is best when baked in the oven, however there are a couple of other methods that you can try.
- In the microwave. Once you have evenly coated the Chex mix, place it in a microwave-safe bowl and heat on HIGH heat for 5-6 minutes. Stir every 2 minutes. Spread out on paper towels to cool.
- In a crock pot. Pour the coated mixture into a Crockpot. Cook on LOW heat for 3 hours. Stir the mixture every 30-45 minutes. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Once the mixture is done cooking, spread it in an even layer on the baking sheet to cool.
recipe tips + Storage
Even with super simple recipes like this recipe for homemade Chex Mix, it’s always nice to have a few little tips so every batch comes out great.
- It is really important to stir the mixture every 15 minutes otherwise it will cook unevenly and burn.
- The mixture may be finished around 45 minutes so keep an eye on it during the last 15 minutes of bake time.
- Use UNsalted butter
- To help get an even coat, pour half of the butter mixture onto the Chex mix. Toss and then pour the rest of the butter on and toss again.
STORE. Keep the cooled original chex mix recipe in an airtight container for up to 6 weeks. Store at room temperature.
FREEZE. For longer storage, you can freeze the mix in freezer Ziplocs for 4-6 months.
This recipe makes about 12 cups of chex mix, for a smaller amount simply cut the ingredient amounts in half. All of the other instructions are the same including the baking instructions. Though with a smaller amount it may bake a little more quickly so keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn.
There are a few factors that can cause the snack to stay soft including; adding too much liquid, not cooking long enough, and overcrowding the mixture during the cooking/cooling process.
This recipe uses Wheat Chex as which is one type that is not gluten-free. To make this snack gluten-free you can replace the Wheat Chex with a gluten-free Chex option as well as use gluten-free pretzels.
For More Snack Mixes, Try:
Original Chex Mix Recipe
- 3⅓ cups Corn Chex™ cereal
- 3⅓ cups Rice Chex™ cereal
- 3⅓ cups Wheat Chex™ cereal
- 1 cup mixed nuts
- 1 cup bite-sized pretzels
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ teaspoons seasoned salt
- ¾ teaspoon garlic salt (with parsley flakes)
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat the oven to 250°F.
- In a large bowl, mix cereals, nuts, and pretzels. Set aside.
- In a small glass bowl, microwave butter until melted (about 30 seconds). Stir in seasonings and drizzle over cereal mixture. Toss until evenly coated.
- Spread onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Spread on paper towels to cool. And then store in an airtight container.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.