Happy Wednesday, friends!
I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again – I LOVE to bake! Love it, Love it, Love it, although I don’t love my complete lack of will power when it comes to eating baked goods. :/ But, hey, there’s always room for improvement, right? I’m always excited to find new recipes that I can bake up and bring to neighbors or friends. Sometimes, (just sometimes) I feel a little guilty because I know someone is trying to eat healthier, and here I am at their doorstep with a plate of chocolate chip cookies. I’m so mean! But, truthfully, its the only thing I really know how to do – Is bake! Well, I’m always happy to find good recipes with oats or fruit, because I can kind of claim it as healthier.
Today’s recipe is one of those “healthier” recipes 🙂 Forget the cup of sugar and the amazing glaze that smothers the top. This thing is loaded with blueberries. Loaded! So, hush about eating better for just a moment and sink your teeth into this soft blueberry filled goodness. I’m pretty sure you wont regret it!
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 3 TB vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ TB cornstarch
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup butter, cubed
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Beat egg, milk and oil in a large bowl,. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt and slowly add to the egg mixture. Beat until combined. Fold in the blueberries.
- Pour batter into a greased loaf pan(s). We had enough batter for two 8x4 pans. Bake for 50-55 minutes at 350°.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in cream until smooth; add butter. Bring to a boil and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add vanilla, stir. Drizzle over warm bread.
Adapted from Taste of home
HOW MANY DOES IT FEED:
ANY CHANGES MADE: used less blueberries, 1 1/2 cup, used 2 smaller 8×4 loaf pans,
ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR NEXT TIME: We recommend halving the sauce, as we had lots left over. And on the next batch, we’re going to try using Almond Extract in place of vanilla.