This delicious quick bread recipe is filled with lemon and zucchini and topped with a homemade glaze making it irresistible! No yeast also makes it very simple!
If you love bread (especially quick breads), you’ll love this sweet bread recipe! It’s perfect for leftover zucchini in the garden and is as classic and delicious as our go-to zucchini bread and chocolate zucchini cake.
Glaze + Lemon + Zucchini = DELIcious BREAD
When it’s cold I find myself wanting to bake ALL the time. It’s almost like I just love having something sweet and warm to eat on a cold day.
Breads and Cookies are usually the “sweets” of choice on these days, and this next recipe was one that my mom and I tried out years ago that we fell in love with. It was so delicious and one that we will be making again and adding to our favorite breads rotation. 😀
The recipe turned out perfect with the flavors of zucchini and lemon combined into a fluffy bread. The glaze is my favorite part (how could it not be??) and was the perfect addition for this lemon zucchini bread recipe!
How to Make Lemon Zucchini Bread
We are all about quick breads (breads that don’t require yeast), and we love that this recipe is so simple.
BATTER. Begin by mixing the flour, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl and set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs. Then add oil and sugar until well blended. Add lemon juice, buttermilk, lemon zest to this mixture and blend all together.
Fold in zucchini (that is drained and dry) until it is mixed well. Add dry mixture to the wet mixture and blend all together until well combined.
(*Note*: It is really really important to be sure you remove excess water from the zucchini. Zucchinis are over 90% water which is why they make a great addition to moisten up baked goods. However, too much water from the zucchini can alter the bread a great deal. Read more on this below in the tips.)
BAKE. Pour batter into greased 9×5 loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.
GLAZE. While still warm, make glaze and spoon over the bread. Let the glaze set up before cutting and serving.
TipS, TRICKS, + STORAGE
This recipe isn’t hard AT ALL, but we wanted to share our TOP tips for making sure it turns out perfect. 😉
Dry the Zucchini: I mentioned above how important it is to DRY your zucchini. Since some zucchinis, like home grown garden zucchinis, have more moisture than others, I would suggest grating your zucchini about 30 minutes before making the recipe. This will allow it time to shed any excess water. Then, pat it dry before tossing it into the mix. Do not skip this step or the zucchini bread will be too watery and not bake well.
Storage: This bread keeps at room temperature for 1-2 days, for about a week in the fridge, or for 2-3 months in the freezer. I Recommend freezing it without the glaze, thawing, and then adding glaze just before eating.
Dress it up: I love this recipe as is, but sometimes it’s fun to add little something extra to dress up a dish. Here are a few ideas you can try:
- 1-2 tablespoons of poppy seeds
- add dried berries such as cranberries or blueberries
- add dark or white chocolate chips
- sprinkle lemon zest on top
Though I will occasionally add little extras to dress up a dish, I really try not to alter the main recipe. However, sometimes I get started on a recipe to find I don’t have a certain ingredient. In this case I use a substitution if I can. Here are a few for this recipe that might come in handy:
- Several readers commented that they have successfully used coconut oil, olive oil and even applesauce in lieu of canola oil. Substitute it at a 1:1 ratio.
- Make your own cake flour: Of course you can just use all purpose flour, but it won’t yield the cake flour texture. To make your own cake flour all you need is cornstarch and all purpose flour. For every cup of all purpose flour remove 2 tbsp, then add in 2 tbsp of cornstarch. Sift together.
- Lemon juice: You can use freshly squeezed or store bought.
- Buttermilk: See our post on buttermilk substitutes.
Doesn’t it looks fabulous?? It’s an easy recipe to make, and I can’t wait to try it out again… it’s been too long!! And for me, breads that require no yeast are always the easiest!! 😉
For more great quick bread recipes, check out:
Or, check out our full collection of Quick Bread Recipes!
Lemon Zucchini Bread Recipe
- 2 cups cake flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 lemon zest
- 1 cup zucchini grated and dried
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp milk
Mix flour, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Then add oil and sugar until well blended. Add lemon juice, buttermilk, lemon zest to this mixture and blend all together.
- Fold in zucchini until it is mixed well.
- Add dry mixture to the wet mixture and blend all together until well combined.
- Pour batter into greased 9x5 loaf pan.
Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes.
- While still warm, make glaze and spoon over the bread. Let the glaze set up before cutting and serving.