Brownie Puppy Chow Mix filled with brownie chunks, pretzels, peanut butter M&Ms, and white and milk chocolate chips!
Salty + Sweet
We love to make new treats that are a combination of classic treats. It’s like have the best of both worlds!
We think it’s the perfect mix for parties or any get together (or movie night!) – especially if you love the sweet and salty combo!
Making Brownie puppy chow
CEREAL. Pour cereal into a large bowl
COATING. In small pot, heat chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter over low heat stirring frequently until melted. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla.
MIX. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Pour powdered sugar into two-gallon resealable plastic bags and add cereal to the bags. Seal bag and shake until well coated.
Tip: If you do not have a plastic bag, you can spread the chex mix over a pan lined with parchment paper. Use a sifter to evenly coat the cereal mix. Use a spatula to flip the cereal as needed.
COOL + ENJOY! Spread over waxed paper to cool. Once cool, pour into a large bowl and add the remaining ingredients and mix until well combined. ENJOY!
*Note*: Using a larger bowl will help you get everything stirred together more easily.
Caution: Sometimes children will try to share their puppy chow treat with their furry friends. Please make sure your kiddos know that, because of the chocolate, this “puppy chow” cannot be given to actual puppies or dogs. I think this is the reason they are often called by other names like muddy buddies or monkey munch.
Change it up by doing the following…
- Use a boxed brownie mix instead of powdered sugar to get that extra chocolatey flavor
- Do a sweeter version of this by omitting the salty pretzels
- Use your favorite type of M&Ms: Peanut, Peanut Butter, Brownie, plain, Caramel etc…
- Make it mini by using mini chocolate chips, mini m&ms and mini pretzels
Ingredient Tips + Storing info
Keep these tips and in mind…
- Peanut Butter: Regular peanut butter works best. The natural kind does not bind quite as well. Also, do not use crunchy peanut butter, it will give the wrong texture and make an un-smooth coating for the powdered sugar to stick to.
- Cereal: Crispix and Corn Chex cereal both work as well as the traditional Rice Chex.
- Brownies: To make this mix even easier we used brownie bites bought at the store. If you are feeling extra domestic go right ahead and make your own brownies. You can use a box mix or our homemade brownie recipe. Once baked, allow them to cool and cut into small bite sized pieces.
STORE puppy chow in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. However, brownies don’t last quite as long. To prolong the shelf life you can FREEZE it for up to 3 months.
For more Puppy CHow recipes, try:
Brownie Puppy Chow Mix Recipe
- 9 cups rice chex any variety
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
- brownie chunks (we bought brownie bites from the store and cut in quarters)
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup pretzels
- 1 cup peanut butter M&Ms or any variety
- Pour cereal into a large bowl
- In small pot, heat chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter over low heat stirring frequently until melted.
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla.
- Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated.
- Pour powdered sugar into two gallon resealable plastic bags and add cereal to the bags.
- Seal bag and shake until well coated.
- Spread over waxed paper to cool.
- Once cool pour into a large bowl and add the remaining ingredients and mix until well combined. ENJOY!