This flavorful and easy Chicken Souvlaki is a favorite Greek kabob with chicken and veggies. It’s not only delicious but simple and perfect for any Greek meal.
Hello again! It’s Alicia from The Baker Upstairs, and I have the yummiest chicken recipe to share with you today! This easy chicken souvlaki recipe is one of my family’s favorite meals. It’s delicious, easy to make, and always brings a smile to my picky eater’s face. It’s ready in about an hour, and is the perfect easy weeknight dinner.
One of my first dates with my husband was to a Greek restaurant. I had never had Greek food before, and I totally loved it! He was already a big fan, and before long we had a favorite local Greek drive-through that we visited way too often over the years. Since we moved to another state last year, I have been missing my favorite chicken souvlaki, so I decided it was time to recreate it at home. I came up with a simple and delicious recipe that my whole family loves!
What is Chicken Souvlaki?
Souvlaki is a popular Greek fast food consisting of small pieces of meat and sometimes vegetables grilled on a skewer.
It really is delicious and was excited to try it at home. To make it, I started by marinating my chicken in a simple yogurt and lemon marinade, then threading it onto skewers with chunks of red pepper and red onion. My husband loves any excuse to use his grill, so we grilled ours for 6-8 minutes per side. If you don’t have a grill (or don’t want to stand out in the cold waiting for your skewers to cook), you could also easily bake these skewers in the oven. I like to line a baking sheet with foil, then place a cooling rack on top of it, and the chicken on top of the rack. It helps the air to circulate better around the chicken as it cooks, and gives it a texture that’s similar to grilling.
My favorite way to eat the souvlaki is in a warm pita with tzatziki and sliced tomatoes. If you haven’t had tzatziki before, it’s a cucumber garlic yogurt sauce, and totally yummy. I’ve found it at Trader Joe’s and other grocery stores in the deli section, or you can easily make your own.
The yogurt marinade makes the chicken so flavorful and tender, and it’s delicious in combination with the onions and peppers. This easy chicken souvlaki is always a favorite for dinner at our house!
Complete the meal by also making these other Lil’ Luna recipes:
For more similar recipes, check out:
How to make Chicken Souvlaki:
Easy Chicken Souvlaki Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs Skinless Boneless Chicken Breasts cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 cup Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1 Red Bell Pepper cut into chunks
- 1 Red Onion cut into chunks
- In a small bowl, mix together the greek yogurt, lemon juice, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken chunks to a ziplock bag and pour the yogurt mixture over the top. Seal the bag and toss to coat. Refrigerate for thirty minutes.
- Thread the marinated chicken chunks onto skewers, alternating with chunks of red pepper and red onion.
- Grill on medium high heat for 6 to 8 minutes per side, until juices run clear. Alternatively, line a baking sheet with foil and place a cooling rack on top. Place the skewers on the cooling rack, and bake at 425 for 25-30 minutes.
For more great recipes from Alicia, be sure to head to The Baker Upstairs.
For all Dinner ideas, GO HERE.