Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats are a tasty twist on a beloved classic. Ready in 10 minutes, this dessert is perfect for any occasion!
a classic with a chocolatey twist!
Rice krispie treats are a childhood favorite. I LOVED when my mom would whip up a batch. As an adult, I understand why this was always a go to treat in our home! They are crazy simple to make, and only require a few ingredients.
I also love that they are completely customizable. You can switch up the flavors easily and create something new and just as magical.
Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats do just that. Just by switching up the cereal with a chocolate version, you create a new and exciting dessert perfect for satisfying that chocolate craving!
how to make them
BUTTER. In a large bowl, melt butter in the microwave for 30 seconds.
MARSHMALLOWS. Add large marshmallows to butter bowl and microwave for 3 minutes.
COMBINE. Stir well and slowly add Cocoa Krispies to the marshmallow mixture. When all combined, toss in 1-2 cups mini marshmallows.
PRESS + SERVE. Pour into a greased 9×13 baking dish. Let set and enjoy!
I remember my mom pulling out the large pot and heating all the ingredients on the stove, all the while stirring and adjusting the temperature so it wouldn’t burn.
This recipe uses a much easier method- the microwave. Just use a microwave safe bowl to heat up the butter and then the marshmallows. Mix in the cereal and extra mini mallows and that’s it!
- Marshmallows: You can use 12 ounces mini marshmallows instead of jumbo marshmallows plus have 1-2 cups extra mini mallows to mix in.
- Add-Ins: You can replace 1 cup of the mini marshmallows with 1 cups chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, or peanut butter chips, then press into a pan.
- Fresh Ingredients: Be sure that you use fresh marshmallows. Older ones create a hard treat.
- Cereal: Initially the treats will look gooey and it may be tempting to add more than the suggested 7-8 cups of the crispy rice cereal, but don’t. Adding too much cereal will result in a dry crumbly treat.
- Gluten Free: To make these gluten free be sure that you use a certified Gluten Free Rice Krispie cereal. Note that due to malt flavoring, Kelloggs Rice Krispie cereal is NOT gluten free.
Tips for pressing rice krispies into pan:
- Line the baking pan with parchment paper or foil that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Use a rubber spatula to evenly spread the treat into the pan.
- Gently press and even out the top. To avoid the treat sticking on your fingers you can spray your hand with cooking spray. Another idea is to use the inside of a butter wrapper to smooth out the top. Don’t press too firmly or you will create a compact, dense and hard treat.
Tips for cutting: Allow the rice krispie treat to cool and set before you cut them. The easiest way to cut these treats is to first, use the parchment paper or foil to lift them out of the pan. Next, use a serrated bread knife to cut through the treats.
How to Store
STORE the treats in an airtight container. They will last for 2-3 days at room temperature before they begin to harden.
FREEZE: For longer storage tightly wrap each treat with plastic and place them into a freezer safe storage container. They will last for 4-6 weeks. Thaw before eating. Note that they will not be as soft after being frozen, but still delicious.
For more rice krispie treatS, try:
- Crack Rice Krispies
- Chocolate Caramel Rice Krispie Treats
- Classic Rice Krispies
- Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Balls
Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
- 3 TB butter, melted
- 12 oz bag large marshmallows
- 1-2 cups mini marshmallows
- 7-8 cups Cocoa Krispies
- In a large bowl, melt butter in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Add large marshmallows to butter bowl and microwave for 3 minutes.
- Stir well and slowly add Cocoa Krispies.
- When all combined, toss in 1-2 cups mini marshmallows and then pour into a greased 9×13 pan. Let set and enjoy!