Creamy and sweet rice pudding is an easy dessert that can be served hot or cold. Topped with a dash of cinnamon, it’s the ultimate comfort food that brings back nostalgic memories!
Easy + Creamy
Rice pudding is a sweet dessert made with milk, rice, sugar, and a few other ingredients. It’s creamy and can be served cold or hot!
No one really knows who invented rice pudding. Some believe it was originated in China because of their ancient rice culture, but rice pudding is found in many areas around the world! Each is made a little bit differently with different flavors.
Today we are making a tasty dessert version of rice pudding. It’s sweet, smooth and makes the perfect little after-dinner dessert. I love it served warm with a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg on top. It has such a delicious distinct flavor and texture!
How to Make Rice Pudding
The best rice to use when making rice pudding is a medium grain white rice. Medium grain rice makes it a little stickier and gives it that creamy texture you’re looking for in rice pudding.
RICE. In a saucepan, bring the 1 ½ cups of water to boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, stir in the rice. Reduce the heat to low and cover the pot. Simmer the rice for 20 minutes. Make sure the rice is thoroughly cooked before moving on to the next step.
PUDDING. Transfer the cooked rice into a clean saucepan. Add 1 and ½ cups of half and half, the sugar and the salt. Cook this mixture over medium heat until creamy- about 15-20 minutes. Stir in the rest of the half and half and then add the beaten egg and raisins. Cook for another 2 minutes making sure to stir constantly.
Remove the rice pudding from the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla. Serve it hot, at room temperature, or chilled! Sprinkle with cinnamon or nutmeg to make it extra yummy.
Changing it Up
You can make many variations of rice pudding just by adding different ingredients. Try some of these:
- coconut milk and lime zest
- maple syrup and chopped walnuts
- cinnamon and raisins – (check out our Arroz con leche)
- toasted pistachios and cardamom
Did you know you can even make rice pudding with leftover white rice? Place the leftover rice to a microwave safe bowl add a bit of water, cover and steam it. The rice should be hot and soft. Continue the rest of the recipe as written.
This recipe will stay fresh for up to 1 week if stored in an airtight container in the fridge. Store the same way in the freezer and it will last up to 3 months!
For More cozy desserts:
Rice Pudding Recipe
- In a saucepan bring the 1 1/2 cups of water to boil. Once boiling stir in the rice. Reduce the heat to low and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes. Make sure the rice is thoroughly cooked*
- Transfer the cooked rice into a clean saucepan. Add 1 1/2 cups half and half, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat until creamy. About 15-20 minutes
- Stir in the rest of the half and half then add the beaten egg, and raisins. Cook for another 2 minutes. Stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla.