I’ve blogged before about my love of breakfast foods. I could eat it any time of the day, and it’s fairly common to come over to the Merkley home on an evening and find us eating French Toast or Pancakes. Breakfast recipes are just that great! I feel like we don’t get to eat them often enough in the mornings since we’re usually in a rush, but we occasionally get to enjoy them on the weekends and holidays. One holiday we always have breakfast is on Mother’s Day. And usually I’m not the one that has to bake it!! 😉 One of my favorite recipes to enjoy on this day is French Toast, and more particularly French Toast Bake.
Today’s recipe for the French Toast bake is simple to make and is beyond delicious!! If you’re looking for a great recipe to make for mom or want to pass this recipe off to the hubby so YOU can enjoy it on Mother’s Day, then here ya go.
MY OTHER RECIPES
I think what makes it so good is the sourdough bread… oh, and the butter and the cinnamon and the sugar. 😉 We also like to serve this French Toast Casserole with Homemade Buttermilk Syrup which is our favorite!
For more french toast recipes, check out:
How to make French Toast Recipe Video:
Here is the printable recipe:
- 1 loaf sourdough bread (we used Pepperidge Farm loaf)
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 TB vanilla
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup cold butter, cut into pieces
- Cut loaf into cubes and place evenly in a greased 9x13 pan.
- In a bowl, mix together eggs, milk, heavy cream, sugar and vanilla. Pour evenly over bread.
- Cover your pan with Saran Wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Mix together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Cut in butter with this mixture until crumbly and place in a Ziploc bag and refrigerate overnight as well.
- Take pan and Ziploc out when ready to bake. Sprinkle crumbly mixture evenly over the bread.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on how soft you like it.
Recipe from Mormon Mavens in the Kitchen.