Pineapple upside down cake with a delicious caramelized pineapple and cherry topping. This classic dessert is so soft and moist, filled with the perfect amount of pineapple flavor!
This dessert is perfect all year long but especially for the summer time. Be sure to check out our cupcake version of this recipe too because it’s just as good and simple.
My mom has been making Pineapple Upside Down Cake for years. It’s a family favorite and a dessert recipe that my dad LOVES! She has a go-to recipe for this delicious cake (from scratch), and we adapted it by adding almond extract, since it’s our favorite “secret” ingredient. 😉
What I love most about this treat is that it is so moist and delicious. The pineapple and cherry are the perfect addition to make this an incredible summer treat perfect for barbecues, parties and holiday get togethers.
We also love to make this for holidays because it’s become such a family-favorite.
MAKING Pineapple Upside Down Cake
FRUIT. Create your butter and sugar mixture and pour it into a 9×13 pan. Place the drained pineapple rings and cherries in the pan, and set aside.
BATTER. Create the cake batter by first mixing dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately and then combine. While you’re still mixing, add milk, pineapple juice, and almond extract. Spread batter over the pineapple rings in the 9×13 pan.
BAKE. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes, or until the middle is cooked through. Let the cake cool for 30 minutes, and carefully flip cake over onto a serving platter.
How to flip?
The tricky part to this recipe is being able to flip the cake once it’s done. Here are some tips for flipping it without any problems:
- Wait long enough for the cake to cool (at least 30 minutes)
- Use a sharp paring knife or a rubber spatula and slide it around the inner perimeter of the pan.
- Place the serving platter over the top of the pan. Be sure the platter is larger than the cake.
- Place one hand on top of the platter and one hand on the bottom of the pan, then flip.
- Allow the cake to sit for another few minutes with the pan still covering it.
- Carefully remove the pan.
These steps should help you in flipping the cake without problems.
VARIATIONS & TIPS
Want to change things up with this cake? Here are a few suggestions:
- Cut some of the pineapple rings in half and line the sides of the pan
- Sprinkle chopped walnuts or pecans in the bottom along with the cherries and pineapple
- You can serve this cake warm or cold. It’s delicious either way. If you serve it warm I suggest adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream with it.
How long do I bake if I use a bundt pan? Preheat the oven for 350 °F and bake or 35-40 minutes or until done. Use a wooden skewer to check. If you want to make 9” rounds preheat the oven to 375°F and bake for 30-35 minutes. Check if it’s done with a toothpick.
How to freeze pineapple upside down cake? Allow the cake to cool and place it in the freezer for 1-2 hours; long enough to allow the outside of the cake to freeze.Wrap the cake with plastic wrap then again with foil. Label and freeze for 2-3 months.
How long does pineapple upside down cake last? Store cake in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3 days.
This classic dessert will be a hit at your next get together. Be sure to check out our cupcake version too! It tastes just as good and is great for parties.
For more cakes with fruit, try:
Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe
- Melt ½ cup butter in a pot.
- Stir in 1 cup brown sugar and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Continue boiling for 1 minute. Pour into a greased 9x13" pan.
- Drain pineapple rings, reserving ½ cup of the juice.
- Place pineapple rings into the bottom of your pan. Place a cherry in the middle of each ring. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, beat softened butter, sugar and ½ cup brown sugar until well combined. Add eggs and blend well.
- Add flour mixture to the wet mixture. Beat until well combined.
- While still mixing, add milk and ½ cup of the reserved pineapple juice and almond extract.
- Carefully spread batter over pineapple slices.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until middle is cooked through.
- Let cool for 30 minutes.
- Carefully turn cake over onto serving tray and enjoy!