A fun twist on the classic cake recipe, these Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes have the perfect hint of pineapple flavor throughout, and are topped with tasty caramelized pineapple and cherry slices.
This delicious dessert is a great addition to any BBQ or get together. If you love the classic Pineapple Upside Down Cake, then these individualized treats are sure to be a hit anywhere you take them.
classic cake in cupcake form
Whenever I eat Pineapple Upside Down Cake, it always brings back fond memories of family gatherings. It’s a popular recipe during holidays like Christmas and Easter, but we also love enjoying it during the summer. There’s nothing more refreshing than pineapple flavor!
For a fun twist on the classic cake recipe, I decided to try a cupcake version! I couldn’t be more pleased with how they turned out!! All the amazing tastes of pineapple flavored cake, with caramelized pineapple slices and cherries on top, but in individual serving sizes!
The cupcake version was just as simple—if not simpler—to make, and ended up being a crowd pleaser. Everyone loved them, especially the kids. Plus, are they not adorable?!
tips for making Pineapple Cupcakes
You’ll start by spooning some butter and brown sugar into the wells of two muffin tins, then adding your pineapple rings (cut into fourths to fit) and your maraschino cherry halves.
Then you’ll add your cake batter, filling nearly all the way full (don’t worry – they won’t puff up too much). Bake in the oven at 350° F for 20-25 minutes.
They bake up into lovely golden cupcakes, but of course the most delicious part is underneath!
Once they have cooled, flip the cupcakes so the pineapple/cherries are on top (tips for flipping the cupcakes below). Serve when you’re ready. We love to serve ours with some freshly whipped cream on the side!
HOW TO FLIP + STORE
Flipping the cupcakes is the hardest part, and even then, it’s not too difficult. Here are some tips to help you flipping the cupcakes.
- Wait a few minutes for the little cakes to cool a bit.
- Use a sharp paring knife or a small rubber spatula and slide it around each cake.
- Flip the cupcake pan onto wax paper.
- Allow the cupcakes to sit for another few minutes with the pan still covering them.
- Carefully remove the pan.
Voila – not too hard, right?!
How to store pineapple cupcakes? You can store the cupcakes in the fridge, in an airtight container, for about 3 days.
To store in the freezer, allow the cupcakes to cool and flash freeze by placing them in the freezer for about an hour. Take the cupcakes out, wrap them with plastic wrap, then again with foil. Or place the wrapped cupcakes in a freezer safe container. Label and freeze for 2-3 months.
For more fruity cupcake recipes, try:
- Banana Cupcakes
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes
- Cherry Almond Cupcakes
- Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes
- Cherry Cheesecake Cupcakes
Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350. Prepare 24 wells of a muffin tin by spraying with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the pineapple juice, yellow cake mix, oil, and eggs until well blended.
- Cut each of the pineapple rings into four equal sized pieces. Mix together the butter and brown sugar, and add about 1 teaspoon of the butter mixture to each well of the muffin tin. Add two pieces of pineapple and a maraschino cherry half, cut side up.
- Pour the cake mix into the muffin tins, filling to about ¼ inch from the top. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool 15 minutes, then loosen the cupcakes from the sides of the muffin tin with a knife and invert onto a cooling rack.
- Serve warm with freshly whipped cream, if desired.
adapted from Betty Crocker