EASY, delicious, and SOFT Peanut Butter Cookies – our family’s all-time favorite version of this classic cookie that always gets rave reviews!
How All PB Cookies Should Be!
This classic cookie recipe is one we’ve been making for a long time. It’s our family’s favorite version of peanut butter cookies!
There are so many different types of peanut butter cookies, but these ones are simple, chewy and SOFT. In our option, that’s how all peanut butter cookies should be, right?!
If you are a long time fan of peanut butter cookies, I think you’re going to love this crazy soft and flavorful treat. But beware – they’re addicting!
This recipe uses BOTH peanut butter and regular butter. You can make a couple different substitutions for both, and still yield a really soft and chewy cookie:
- Substitute half of the butter for shortening to achieve an extra soft cookie crumb
- Use an equal amount of crunchy peanut butter instead of creamy
The regular creamy peanut butter like Skippy or Jif is definitely the best type of peanut butter to use. Natural peanut butter won’t give you the same results. In fact, it will likely make them crumbly and dry.
How to make Soft Peanut Butter Cookies
DOUGH. In a mixing bowl, combine sugars and peanut butter. Mix well. Add eggs and vanilla, mix until creamy. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix to combine them.
COAT. Place remaining ½ cup sugar in bowl. Roll dough into 1-1 ½ inch balls and roll in sugar, making sure to coat all sides.
FORM. Roll dough into 1 – 1 ½ inch balls. Place on greased cookie sheet and make a criss cross on top using a fork.
BAKE. Bake at 350°F for about 8-9 minutes or until cookies begin to brown.
Make Ahead & Store
Make ahead: Go ahead and double the recipe. You won’t regret having cookies on hand to grab as a quick after school snack, a treat for an unexpected guest, or a late night snack for you and your spouse.
Peanut butter cookies can be STORED in dough form or as baked cookies.
To store cookie dough, wrap in plastic and store in the fridge for 3-5 days. You can also form cookie dough balls, flash freeze them, transfer them to a freezer Ziploc and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Store baked cookies in an airtight container for 7-10 days, or freeze in a Ziploc bag for up 3 months.
For more peanut butter cookie recipes, check out:
- Chewy Peanut Butter M&M Cookies
- Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies
- Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
- Mini Peanut Butter Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chews
- Peanut Butter Cookies
Soft Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together peanut butter, butter, brown sugar and 1 cup of granulated sugar. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until creamy.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and baking soda. Whisk together, then pour into the butter mixture. Stir to combine.
- Place remaining ½ cup of sugar in a bowl. Roll dough into 1–1½-inch balls and roll in sugar, making sure to coat all sides.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet and make a crisscross on top of each ball using a fork. Bake for 8–9 minutes.
- Let cookies sit on the cookie sheet for a few minutes, then remove to a rack to cool.