Stuffed Zucchini Boats filled with Italian sausage and tomatoes are a new go-to healthy dinner idea. Topped with cheese, parsley and bread crumbs, you can’t go wrong with this zucchini dish.
We found another recipe we love!!! Recently, the hubby and I have been trying to eat a little bitter and have been increasing the amount of protein and veggies we eat and having less carbs. It’s pretty sad considering we love our carbs, but it’s been fun trying to come up with new recipes for us to enjoy.
I had seen many recipes for Zucchini Boats via Pinterest, and thought we ought to give it a try. We decided that Italian sausage would be a great meat for the dish so we used that as our filler along with some traditional Ragu sauce. I knew we’d have to add cheese because my husband is slightly obsessed so that’s what we did. We topped it off with Mozzarella cheese, garlic salt and basil. The result?? A SUPER simple and super yummy dish that I will definitely be adding to the rotation. I admit the kids weren’t too excited about it, but I think that’s because they don’t like sausage in general and think it’s “spicy” – LOL!
How to Make Stuffed Zucchini Boats
These Stuffed Zucchini Boats are easy to make but take just a little bit of time. You’ll begin by scooping out the interior flesh from each zucchini. Be sure to keep this because we’ll need it to fill the boats later. 😉 From there you’ll need to do the following:
- Cook up sausage in a medium pan with olive oil. Add your spices, the zucchini flesh (that was scooped out) and tomatoes.
- From there you will spoon this mixture into your zucchini boats (which should be in a 9×13 pan). Top with breadcrumbs and cheese and bake for 20-22 minutes.
NOTE: If you want even more flavor, add your favorite tomato sauce/pizza sauce to your meat to make the dish even better!
Zucchini Boats Recipe
There are so many ways to change up these zucchini boats! This is a bit of an Italian version with the Italian sausage, tomatoes, breadcrumbs and cheeses. Here are some more ideas on how to change up these stuffed zucchinis.
- Taco Zucchini Boats – hamburger meat, chili powder, cumin, cheese, olives, tomatoes, avocados
- Lasagna Zucchini Boats – Ricotta, Mozzarella, & Parmesan cheeses, beef, marinara sauce, Italian seasoning
- Burrito Zucchini Boats – beans, beef, spices, cheeses, tomatoes, olives and cilantro
- Chicken Parmesan Zucchini Boats – chicken, garlic, marinara, cheeses and basil
- Chicken Broccoli Zucchini Boats – chicken, chopped broccoli, cheese, sour cream, spices
So many varieties to try!
YUMMY! I love zucchini, and am so excited we tried this out. I’d love to hear if any of you have tried these before and would love to know what you filled your “boats” with. 😉
Complete the meal by also making:
For more great Zucchini recipes, check out:
- Fried Zucchini
- Zucchini Ribbons and Pasta
- Baked Zucchini Fries
- Parmesan Crusted Zucchini
- Zucchini Chicken Alfredo Roll Ups
- Cheesy Zucchini Casserole
Stuffed Zucchini Recipe
Stuffed Zucchini Boats filled with Italian sausage and tomatoes are a new go-to healthy dinner idea. Topped with cheese, parsley and bread crumbs, you can't go wrong with this zucchini dish.
- 4 medium zucchini cut in half, lengthwise
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 16 oz. mild Italian sausage
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella shaved
- 1/4 breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped
Preheat the oven to 400.
Scoop out the interior flesh from the zucchini using a spoon and set aside (do not throw away). Place zucchinis in 9x13 pan.
Add olive oil to a medium pan and cook sausage with garlic. Add onion powder, zucchini flesh, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
Spoon this mixture into each zucchini boat. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and cheeses and bake for 20-22 minutes. ENJOY!