Restaurant style Fried Zucchini is a family favorite! It’s simply addicting, especially dipped in ranch or marinara.
Fried Zucchini is our favorite way to enjoy one of our favorite vegetables! There are so many sides and appetizers you can make with zucchini, like Parmesan Crusted Zucchini and Zucchini Tots.
Delicious Deep Fried Zucchini
Fried Zucchini happens to be my favorite appetizer in the whole world! It’s a recipe we have at least once a month, for Sunday dinner, and it’s always gone in minutes!
You can serve this in different ways, depending on how you cut the zucchini (discs or sticks). However you make it, it’s always delicious. We love to serve it with Marinara Sauce or Homemade Ranch.
We’ve tried several versions over the years, and now have Baked Zucchini Fries and Zucchini Chips. They are also delicious!
How to fry zucchini
Other than a little time, this recipe doesn’t take much. The steps are simple, as well as the ingredients.
PREP. Heat oil to medium heat. Slice zucchini into several circles.
COAT + REPEAT. Add10-15 slices of zucchini into a bowl of milk to coat. From there, add slices to a bowl filled with the flour, coat.
Put slices back into the milk and make sure they get all wet again. Add slices to a bowl filled with Panko crumbs, coat.
FRY. Fry until golden brown, turning to ensure even browning on both sides. Repeat process until all the slices are breaded and fried.
ENJOY! Serve with Ranch or marinara.
Air fry zucchini
A great healthy alternative to traditional pan frying is to use an air fryer.
PREP. Heat your air fryer to 390°F. Prepare your zucchini according to recipe directions.
FRY. Place a single layer of zucchini rounds, or fries in the air fryer basket. Cook for 5-7 minutes until crispy.
You can also use the Air Fryer Zucchini recipe, or check out our Baked Zucchini Fries.
Oil. I use vegetable oil, but canola oil or peanut oil are also great options to make this dish. Add 1 ½ -2 inches of oil to the pan, heat it up to 350°F. If you don’t have a thermometer:
- Test the oil is ready by inserting the end of a wooden spoon into the oil.
- It should immediately bubble around the handle.
- If it doesn’t bubble the oil is too cold.
- If it bubbles and splatters vigorously, the oil may be too hot.
- When you think you have the right temperature, fry 1-2 test pieces and adjust.
Salting the zucchini. Salting the zucchini causes the vegetable to “sweat”, relieving the zucchini from extra moisture. I don’t use this method, and haven’t had problems with soggy zucchini. However, you can definitely give it a try:
- Lay the sliced zucchini out on a paper towel.
- Sprinkle some sea salt over the slices, and let sit for about 30 minutes.
- Extra moisture will be released and absorbed by the paper towel.
- Pat the tops with another paper towel before proceeding with the recipe.
If you’re looking to add some variation, try:
- Adding parmesan cheese, chili flakes, garlic powder, or cayenne pepper to the breadcrumbs before frying.
- Use a seasoned breadcrumb or Panko mixture. The Italian versions with oregano and basil are some of our favorites!
Dipping sauce. Another way to change up the flavors is to use different dipping sauces. We love dipping these in Homemade Ranch Dressing. Also try some of your favorite dipping sauces, such as: Marinara Sauce or horseradish sauce.
How to reheat zucchini
Fried Zucchini is ideal when eaten right away. If you happen to have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge. The best way to reheat them is in the oven.
- Broil them on low for 2-4 minutes.
- Or place them in a preheated oven at 375° F for 5-7 minutes, until they are heated through.
Don’t those Fried Zucchini chips look amazing?! Really, though – look no further. This recipe is beyond simple, and SO good!!
For more even zucchini recipes:
- Parmesan Crusted Zucchini
- Cheesy Zucchini Casserole
- Zucchini Boats
- Baked Zucchini Chips
- Zucchini Chicken Alfredo Roll-Ups
- Baked Crusted Zucchini Sticks
Fried Zucchini Recipe
- 2 Zucchini
- 2-3 cups milk
- 2 cups Panko Bread Crumbs Plain or Italian
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- vegetable oil
- Heat oil to medium heat.
- Slice zucchini into several circles. Add 10-15 slices of zucchini into a bowl of milk to coat.
- From there, add slices to a bowl filled with the flour, coat.
- Put slices back into the milk and make sure they get all wet again.
- Add slices to a bowl filled with Panko crumbs, coat.
- Fry until golden brown, turning to ensure equal browning on both sides. Repeat process until all the slices are breaded and fried.
OMG, this takes fried zucchini to a whole new level! Have eaten fried squash pretty much all my life, and this is the best. Another time will try using finely ground cornmeal in with the flour, or maybe even masa, for an extra level of flavor, and will try adding the parmesan sometime, as well, depending on what I’m making with it.
I bet both of those additions would be tasty! So glad you tired the fried zucchini. It’s so yummy!
My family makes these a couple of times a month. They take a bit of time, but so worth it!
We made these in our Air Fryer and they turned out crispy and yummy. Then we dipped then in ranch 🤤
Can you substitute the milk with butter milk
Yes, buttermilk works great as well!!
I haven’t ever tried doing that, but you could give it at try! You’ll have to let us know how it tastes.
I made this for my family and they loved it! Easy to make and delicious.
I already live zucinni and to make this easy i easy recipe was my all time favorite. Make it all the time as a snack no dip just eat it like that!! Thanks bunches💕
Oh I’m so glad you enjoy the zucchini recipe! It is a great snack option!
See More Comments