Chicken scallopini is a delicious dish of crusted chicken over lemon butter pasta. The flavorful butter chicken and pasta combo is irresistible and perfect for dinner any night of the week.
This particular recipe is also pretty simple. It takes a little bit of time but is easy to do, which is what I like most about great recipes (simple AND delicious!) Whether you’re making dinner for the family or for company, this is definitely one of those recipes that everyone will enjoy. For more delicious weeknight pasta dishes try Italian Sausage Pasta, Pasta Primavera, and Crock Pot Mac and Cheese.
What is Chicken Scallopini?
You guys know how much we love chicken and pasta here!! How can you not when they’re almost always delicious and loved by the whole family?! 😉
Today’s recipe for Chicken Scallopini happens to be another one of those yummy dishes and is one my mom got from watching the news one day (thanks, Mom!) She gave it a try, and it was a hit!! Like I said, I’m not sure how it wouldn’t be a hit when you have breaded chicken and pasta that is coated in a Lemon Butter sauce.
Scallopini is a type of Italian dish that comes in many forms. It consists of thinly sliced meat, that is dredged in flour or breadcrumbs and is sautéed in one of a variety of reduced sauces. For this version, the chicken is coated in bread crumbs and is sauteed in a lemon butter sauce.
How to Make Scallopini
COOK. Cook pasta according to box directions.
HEAT. While pasta is cooking, heat about 1 TB of oil and 2 T. butter in a large skillet.
BROWN. Coat chicken in breadcrumbs and saute in your skillet, turning until brown and cooked through. Remove chicken from pan.
BOIL. In a medium pan, heat lemon juice and chicken broth on medium heat. Bring to boil.
SIMMER. Reduce to low-medium heat. Add cream and simmer until mixture thickens. Slowly add your butter until incorporated.
COMBINE. Add pasta to lemon butter sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Add cut chicken over pasta.
GARNISH & SERVE. Garnish with parsley and serve.
Tips, Additions, and Storing
Add flavor: For a more flavorful sauce, try using the same skillet that you cooked your chicken in. Once the chicken has been cooked and removed from the skillet drain any oils. Add the chicken broth, or white wine, along with the lemon juice and proceed with the recipe instructions.
Pasta: I like using linguine, but any long noodle will work. Also, depending on how saucy you like the pasta, use anywhere between ¾-1 lb of noodles.
Chicken: you will want 4 thin cut pieces of chicken breast. You can find them pre cut at the market or you can make your own. To make your own: buy 2 large chicken breasts. Slice them in half lengthwise. Use the flat side of a meat mallet to pound them into thin slices.
- Mushrooms, Capers, tomatoes, spinach, zucchini
- Add bacon bits,
- Use sliced pork or veal
- Parmesan cheese
- Fresh chives
- Add heat with chili flakes
How to store/reheat: Store the leftovers in airtight containers either separately or all together for 2-3 days. You can also freeze leftovers for 4-6 weeks.
To reheat: Thaw if applicable. If you can remove the chicken from the pasta and sautee in a pan until warm and crips. Remove. Add the pasta to the pan and slowly over low heat. Add a little milk to help the cream become more smooth.Once hot swerve along with the chicken on top. If you are in a hurry you can also use the microwave.
Complete the meal by also making:
For more chicken pasta recipes, check out:
- Creamy Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake
- Cheesy Chicken and Asparagus Pasta
- Triple Cheddar Chicken Pasta
- Pesto Chicken Florentine
- Chicken Spaghetti
Chicken Scallopini Recipe
- 4 thin chicken breast skinless, boneless
- 1 tbsp oil for sautéing
- 2 tbsp butter for sautéing
- 2 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs or Panko
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 lb. linguini pasta cooked
- parsley for garnish
Lemon Butter Sauce:
- 4 oz fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chicken broth (or white wine)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup butter
- Cook pasta according to box directions.
- While pasta is cooking, heat about 1 TB of oil and 2 T. butter in a large skillet.
- Coat chicken in breadcrumbs and saute in your skillet, turning until brown and cooked through. Remove chicken from pan.
- In a medium pan, heat lemon juice and chicken broth on medium heat. Bring to boil.
- Reduce to low-medium heat. Add cream and simmer until mixture thickens. Slowly add your butter until incorporated.
- Add pasta to lemon butter sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add cut chicken over pasta. Garnish with parsley and serve.
Recipe adapted from ABC 15.