This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Flavorful lemon chicken pasta is covered in a delicious sauce made from lemons, whipping cream, cheese, and fresh basil.
Bright + Flavorful!
I tried this lemon chicken pasta a while ago after my mom found it somewhere and the whole family loved it (my fam pretty much loves any chicken and pasta recipe – thank heavens!). The chicken is super tender and the sauce makes it even better.
Pasta recipes are perfect for feeding a crowd. There are several ingredients in this recipe that make it amazing. The butter, lemons, whipping cream, and half & half take it to a whole new level.
To add even more flavor, we used either garlic pepper or garlic salt to season. Grated parmesan cheese and fresh chopped basil on top make this dish even more mouth-watering.
Ready in 20 Minutes!
This easy lemon chicken pasta is bright and flavorful and is on the table in no time!
PASTA. Cook pasta as directed on the box. Reserve one cup of water, drain the rest, and set the pasta aside.
SAUCE. In the same pot, melt butter over medium heat. Squeeze in the lemon juice and whisk together. Pour half & half and heavy cream together and whisk until hot. Dump in cheese and whisk until melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Check the consistency of the cream sauce and add hot pasta water until you reach your desired thickness. Stir in half of the basil.
GARNISH. Pour pasta and sauce into a large bowl. Add chicken and sprinkle the remaining basil on top. ENJOY with some Garlic Bread. Yum!
This lemon chicken pasta recipe starts with perfectly grilled chicken.
Grilled chicken. I suggest halving the chicken breasts before grilling. Season them with lemon pepper or a simple coating of garlic salt and black pepper.
- Heat the grill to medium and place the breasts on. If your grill has a temperature gauge, try to stick near the 425-450°F range.
- Place the chicken directly above the medium heat and grill each side for 5-7 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Chicken thighs can be grilled instead of chicken breasts.
Variations. This lemon chicken recipe with pasta lends perfectly to adding veggies or heat. Use these tips to change things up:
- Pasta. Use your favorite shape of pasta such as bowtie, wagon wheel, shell, or ziti.
- Veggies. If you add veggies, be sure to sauté them in olive oil before tossing them into the pasta dish.
- Spice. Add some heat with red chili flakes or a splash of hot sauce.
- Lemon. For a more pronounced lemon flavor add some lemon zest.
STORE leftover lemon chicken and pasta in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. You can either eat the portions cold or warm them up in a skillet over medium heat.
If your dish is looking a little dry add some extra cream. If you’re in a hurry you can heat it up in the microwave.
Make ahead of time. Make this beforehand and store it in the refrigerator or freezer depending on when you plan to serve the meal. Either way, be sure to undercook the noodles or they will continue to absorb liquid and turn out large and mushy.
- Fridge. Make it the day before, cover it, and store it in the fridge. Reheat it on the stovetop and serve!
- Freezer. Place it in a freezer-safe airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge. Reheat in a skillet slowly over low heat. If the cream has separated this will help it reincorporate into the dish. Adding a splash of milk will also help smooth out the texture.
Adding salt to the water when you boil the pasta infuses some flavor directly into the pasta. Over medium-high heat bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 1 tablespoon of salt per pound of pasta to the water, then add in the pasta. Boil until al dente.
I often make a double batch so that I have enough for a freezer meal. Allow the chicken pasta to cool before placing it in a freezer-safe airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge. If the cream has separated, reheating it slowly over low heat will help it reincorporate into the dish. Adding a splash of milk will also help smooth out the texture.
Since you already need to use heavy cream for this recipe you can use another ¼ cup of heavy cream and combine it with 1¾ cups of milk to create half and half.
For More Chicken & Pasta Dishes, Try:
- Chicken and Asparagus Pasta
- Triple Cheddar Chicken Pasta
- Bruschetta Chicken Pasta
- Chicken Alfredo Bake
- Pesto Chicken Florentine
- Chicken Spaghetti
- Chicken Penne Pasta
Lemon Chicken Pasta Recipe
- 4 chicken breasts grilled and sliced
- 1 lb penne cooked
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1-2 whole lemons (depending on how much lemon you want in it – I use only 1)
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup Half and Half
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves chopped
- Cook pasta as directed on the box. Reserve one cup of water, and set pasta aside.
- In the same pot, melt butter over medium heat. Squeeze in the juice of lemon(s) and whisk together.
- Pour half & half and cream together and whisk until hot. Dump in cheese and whisk until melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Check consistency and add hot pasta water until you reach your desired thickness. Stir in half of your basil.
- Pour pasta and sauce into a large bowl. Add chicken, and sprinkle the remaining basil on top. ENJOY with some garlic bread. Yum!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.