Flavorful Lemon Chicken Pasta is covered in a delicious sauce made from lemons, whipping cream, cheeses, and fresh basil.
We love this filling lemon chicken pasta so much that I will be adding it to the meal rotation since it’s one the whole family enjoys. Complete the meal by also making Copycat Olive Garden Breadsticks, Parmesan Crusted Zucchini, or Cream Cheese & Parmesan Asparagus.
Best Lemon Chicken and Pasta
Lemon Chicken Pasta is one my mom found and tried several months ago. She couldn’t remember if she had found it online or in a magazine, but she tried it, and it was a hit! The whole family loved it (my fam pretty much loves any chicken and pasta recipe – thank heavens!). The chicken was super tender and the sauce made it even better (sauces that call for whipping cream are ALWAYS good!)
There are several ingredients in this recipe that make it amazing. Of course, it has Pasta. We used penne but it can be made with any kind of pasta. Chicken is always great with any pasta dish, but the butter, lemons, whipping cream and half & half take it to a whole new level.
To add even more flavor we will use either Garlic Pepper or Garlic Salt to season. To top it all off grated Parmesan cheese and fresh chopped basil on top make this dish even more mouth-watering.
Quick + Easy dish
PASTA. Cook pasta as directed on box. Reserve one cup water, set pasta aside.
SAUCE. In same pot, melt butter over medium heat. Squeeze in juice of lemon(s) and whisk together. Pour half & half and cream together and whisk until hot. Dump in cheese and whisk until melted. Add salt pepper to taste. Check consistency and add hot pasta water until you reach your desired thickness. Stir in half of your basil.
GARNISH. Pour pasta and sauce into a large bowl. Add chicken, sprinkle remaining basil on top. ENJOY with some garlic bread. Yum!
Tips, Variations + Storing Info
To grill the chicken perfectly, I suggest halving the chicken breasts before grilling. You can season them with lemon pepper or a simple coating of garlic salt and black pepper. Heat the grill to medium and place the breasts on. If your grill has a temperature gage, try to stick near the 425-450°F range. Place the chicken directly above the medium heat and grill each side for 5-7 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Use your favorite shape of pasta such as bowtie, wagon wheel, shell, ziti
- If adding any veggies, be sure to sauté them in a bit of olive oil before tossing them into the pasta dish.
- Add some heat with red chili flakes or a splash of hot sauce.
- For a better lemony flavor add some lemon zest
STORE leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. You can either eat the leftovers cold or warm it up in a skillet over medium heat. If your dish is looking a little dry add some extra cream. If you’re in a hurry you can heat it up in the microwave.
Make this ahead of time and STORE it in the fridge or freezer depending on when you plan to serve the meal. Either way be sure to undercook the noodles or they will continue to absorb liquid and turn out large and mushy.
- Make it the day before, cover, and store in the fridge. Reheat it on the stove top and serve!
- Place it in a freezer safe airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge. Reheat in a skillet slowly over low heat. If the cream has separated this will help it reincorporate into the dish. Adding a splash of milk will also help smooth out the texture.
For more Chicken & Pasta dishes, be sure to try:
- Chicken and Asparagus Pasta
- Triple Cheddar Chicken Pasta
- Bruschetta Chicken Pasta
- Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake
- Pesto Chicken Florentine
- Chicken Spaghetti
Lemon Chicken Pasta Recipe
- 4 chicken breasts grilled and sliced
- 1 lb penne cooked
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1-2 whole lemons (depending on how much lemon you want in it - I use only 1)
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup Half & Half
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves chopped
- Cook pasta as directed on box. Reserve one cup water, set pasta aside.
- In same pot, melt butter over medium heat. Squeeze in juice of lemon(s) and whisk together.
- Pour half & half and cream together and whisk until hot. Dump in cheese and whisk until melted. Add salt pepper to taste.
- Check consistency and add hot pasta water until you reach your desired thickness. Stir in half of your basil.
- Pour pasta and sauce into a large bowl. Add chicken, sprinkle remaining basil on top. ENJOY with some garlic bread. Yum!