This cheesy Chicken and Asparagus Pasta is one the whole family will love. It’s flavorful and filled with everyone’s favorite ingredients!!
We have pasta almost once a week in our home, so you better believe chicken and asparagus pasta will be on the menu plan. Complete this meal by adding Cheesy Garlic Bread, Fried Zucchini, and Tomato Cucumber Salad.
Add this to the menu plan!
I love Chicken, and I love Asparagus so I knew I HAD to try this recipe for Chicken and Asparagus Pasta. I mean, in my book, you just can’t go wrong with Chicken and Asparagus. Throw some pasta into the equation and you’ve got a definite winning recipe right there.
Asparagus is one of those vegetables that I didn’t learn to appreciate until I was older, and now I can’t get enough of it! We have it a lot for side dishes but feel like it was the perfect addition for this pasta recipe.
Don’t be fooled by the amount of ingredients in this recipe. Most of them are spices that add so much flavor to this dish. Having said that, it really is a simple dinner recipe that always gets awesome reviews!
How to make Chicken and Asparagus Pasta
CHICKEN. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and sauté your chicken for approximately 15 minutes.
PASTA. Cook pasta according to directions on the package. In the last 5 minutes of cooking, add the asparagus to the water. Drain and set aside while reserving a cup of the pasta water.
COMBINE. Once chicken is cooked add minced garlic, onion powder, garlic powder, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes to the skillet. Sauté for 5 minutes.
SAUCE. To your skillet combine the broth, half & half, cream cheese and half of your parmesan. Add pasta and asparagus to your skillet and stir until well combined. If pasta seems too dry, add reserved cooking water a little bit at a time. Stir over med heat until desired consistency.
SERVE. Add salt, pepper and extra Parmesan to taste
Tips, Variations + Storing Tips
Asparagus is done when its fork tender and would be easy to chew.
If fresh asparagus is hard to get your hands on you can use canned asparagus. This might just take a couple of extra stems. First make sure to drain the water from the can and put it in a pan with some olive oil and some salt. The canned asparagus is already cooked so it just needs to be warmed up. Keep it warm in the pan while following the rest of the recipe in your large skillet. Add the asparagus when the recipe dictates.
Make this as a bake. Just make sure to cook the chicken and pasta beforehand. The point of the bake would be to combine all the flavors and melt the cheese and make it ooey gooey! Saute the chicken and asparagus and mix in with the pasta, pour the mixture into the pan and top with sauce and extra cheese. Bake at 375 until the cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.
Make this as a pasta salad. Cook the chicken and pasta as explained in the recipe, but don’t boil the asparagus as dictated. For a pasta salad you want some different textures, so sauté the asparagus so it gets a little bit of a crispy edge. Let the chicken cool. Combine with pasta and asparagus and some other vegetables(perhaps grape tomatoes and pitted olives). Instead of the creamy cheese sauce toss with Italian dressing and chill.
- Some additional add ins you might like to try include zucchini, bacon bits, lemon juice, chopped mushrooms
- Replace the asparagus with broccoli, you can substitute it almost directly. You don’t have to cut it like you do the asparagus stems but you can make sure they are in bite-sized little florets.
- Use whatever kind of pasta you would like. I use Penne pasta but really any kind will work in this recipe.
- If you don’t like Mozzarella cheese then substitute it for grated parmesan cheese! It works great in this recipe as well.
I love dishes that can be made ahead of time. Assemble the ingredients as directed except do not add the panko. Cover and store in the fridge for 1-2 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to bake it allow it to thaw, if applicable, add the panko crumbs and bake.
Divide leftovers into individual serving sizes and STORE in the fridge or freezer. Reheat in the microwave or oven.
For more chicken pasta recipes, check out:
- Chicken Tetrazzini
- Lemon Chicken Pasta
- Triple Cheddar Chicken Pasta
- Bruschetta Chicken Pasta
- Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake
- Pesto Chicken Florentine
Chicken Asparagus Pasta Recipe
- 1 16 oz. box Bowtie Pasta
- 2 cups chicken cubed
- 1 bunch asparagus trimmed and cut into 4
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup reserved pasta water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 4 oz cream cheese
- ⅓ cup half n half
- ½ cup parmesan cheese shredded
- garlic salt & pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and saute your chicken for approximately 15 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to directions on the package. In the last 5 minutes of cooking, add the asparagus to the water. Drain and set aside while reserving a cup of the pasta water.
- Once chicken is cooked add minced garlic, onion powder, garlic powder, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes to the skillet. Saute for 5 minutes.
- To your skillet combine the broth, half & half, cream cheese and half of your parmesan.
- Add pasta and asparagus to your skillet and stir until well combined. If pasta seems too dry, add reserved cooking water a little bit at a time. Stir over med heat until desired consistency. Add salt, pepper and extra Parmesan to taste
Recipe from Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom.