This cheesy Zucchini Casserole is a simple and delicious side dish made with zucchini chunks, cheese, butter and crushed Chex! It’s great for family dinners and especially for holiday gatherings.
We love all things zucchini – whether it’s sweet like our Glazed Lemon Zucchini Bread or savory like our Parmesan Crusted Zucchini, we love it! This casserole version is delicious too and is a great way to use up some of that leftover zucchini growing in the garden!
Another Great Way to Have Zucchini
We love zucchini and will usually take any excuse we can to make recipes with it. Whether its sweet or savory, we love the veggie and were excited to try a recipe for a casserole version today.
Today’s recipe was very delicious and so easy to make! Plus, it’s a little healthier than some of the other zucchini recipes we love like (fried zucchini!)
I love the combination of the colby-jack cheese, eggs, and the rice chex. It’s a great side to make for a holiday or dinner gathering. Try it out and let us know what the family thinks!
How to Make Zucchini Casserole
You’ll be surprised just how easy this casserole is!
The best way to chop up the zucchini for this recipe is to cut the tips off, cut it lengthwise, and then cut it into small bite sized pieces. You do not need to remove the seeds.
ZUCCHINI. In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt 2 TB butter. Add diced zucchini and onion powder and cook for 10-12 minutes, stir occasionally. Zucchini should be crisp and tender. Let slightly cool in a bowl.
CEREAL. Melt remaining 2 TB butter in a microwave safe bowl. Drizzle butter over crushed cereal, tossing to coat.
COMBINE. Mix together your cheese, eggs, salt and pepper into the zucchini mixture and place in a greased 8-in square baking dish. Sprinkle with cereal mixture.
BAKE. Bake at 350, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- If you want to do ½ zucchini and ½ squash that would be pretty awesome! The texture of zucchini is very similar to that of squash, so it will bake very well together.
- Rice Chex is just the crunchy ingredient we chose to top out casserole with to give it some crunch. You could also use cornflakes or crispy fried onions.
- To feed a larger crows double the recipe and bake in a 9×13 pan.
Making Ahead + Storing
Whether you’re prepping for a large holiday dinner or a small family dinner you can prep this dish AHEAD OF TIME to be baked later. Mix all of the ingredients together, besides the rice Chex, and keep it covered in the fridge until it’s time to bake it. When ready, top with your rice Chex and bake as normal.
STORE leftovers in the fridge (3-4 days) or freezer (for up to 1 month). Reheat in the microwave or the oven.
For more zucchini recipes, check out:
Zucchini Casserole Recipe
- 4 tbsp butter divided
- 6 small zucchini about 7 cups
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 cups rice chex crushed
- 1-1 1/2 cups colby-monterrey jack cheese shredded
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt 2 TB butter. Add zucchini and onion powder and cook for 10-12 minutes, stir occasionally. Zucchini should be crisp and tender. Let slightly cool in a bowl.
- Melt remaining 2 TB butter in a microwave safe bowl. Drizzle butter over crushed cereal, tossing to coat.
- Mix together your cheese, eggs, salt and pepper into the zucchini mixture and place in a greased 8-in square baking dish. Sprinkle with cereal mixture.
- Bake at 350, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Adapted from www.tasteofhome.com