Happy Wednesday, folks! Kellyn here, with another tried and true recipe. Thanksgiving is just around the corner, can you believe it?? Did you know that over 700 million pounds of turkey is consumed on Thanksgiving day? That’s a lot of turkey!! Our meal assignments are usually made based on who is good at what. We have our usual favorites but occasionally someone will be brave enough to bring a new recipe. Today’s tried and true should be YOUR new recipe for Thanksgiving Day.
Zucchini is a standard in our household. Yes, its usually smothered in bread crumbs, deep fried, and then dipped in ranch, but I totally consider it a vegetable. 🙂 Todays zucchini casserole recipe is less greasy, but still great. I love the combination of the colby-jack cheese, eggs, and the rice chex. It’s a great side to make for a holiday or dinner gathering. Try it out and let us know what the family thinks!
For more zucchini recipes, check out:
Cheesy Zucchini Casserole Recipe
- 4 tbsp butter divided
- 6 small zucchini about 7 cups
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 cups rice chex crushed
- 1-1 1/2 cups colby-monterrey jack cheese shredded
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt 2 TB butter. Add zucchini and onion powder and cook for 10-12 minutes, stir occasionally. Zucchini should be crisp and tender. Let slightly cool in a bowl.
- Melt remaining 2 TB butter in a microwave safe bowl. Drizzle butter over crushed cereal, tossing to coat.
- Mix together your cheese, eggs, salt and pepper into the zucchini mixture and place in a greased 8-in square baking dish. Sprinkle with cereal mixture.
- Bake at 350, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Adapted from www.tasteofhome.com
TRIED & TRUE FINDINGS:
- DIFFICULTY: Simple
- HOW MANY DOES IT FEED: 6
- ANY CHANGES MADE: As always, we replaced the real onions with onion powder
- ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR NEXT TIME: none
For other favorite zucchini side dishes, check out these recipes…
And for more zucchini recipes, check out: