Filled with mozzarella cheese, and cherry tomatoes, seasoned with basil, and covered in a light balsamic vinaigrette, this asparagus salad is bursting with flavor! Best of all, it comes together in less than 10 minutes!
super simple salad
I first had this Asparagus Salad at a church function last year, and then once more at our church Easter Egg Hunt where my friend, Britt, made and brought it again (It was the same activity that I fell in love with my friend, Marie’s, Cherry Bars).
I finally remembered to ask her for the recipe and was so glad I got it, because it is SIMPLE and DELICIOUS. She had gotten it from a Medi-fast Cookbook, but changed it up a bit to make it even more simple. Britt’s simplified version of the recipe is what I’ll be sharing with you guys today.
It literally takes minutes to make and really only requires cutting up some of the main ingredients, which include asparagus, cherry tomatoes and some string cheese sticks. Yup – super simple!
ready in less than 10 minutes!
Rinse the asparagus and tomatoes in water and cut off the bottoms of the asparagus spears, then cut them into thirds.
Bring a few cups of water to a boil on the stove, and boil asparagus for 5-7 minutes. Drain the asparagus and place in a bowl of ice water to keep asparagus from cooking more.
(Note: You can eat asparagus raw it is usually preferred cooked. If you want more of a crunch to it in your salad you can grill the spears before chopping them and assembling the salad.)
Cut cherry tomatoes in half, and the string cheese into bite-sized pieces.
In a large bowl, combine the cherry tomatoes, asparagus and string cheese pieces. Pour the dressing over the top, add pepper and basil, and mix. Chill until ready to serve.
Additions: If you really want to bring in the mediterranean feel you can add feta cheese instead of mozzarella. Or add olives and chickpeas!
The best way to store asparagus salad is in a tupperware container in the fridge for about 2-5 days, depending on the amount of dressing—the asparagus can get soggy.
You can add as much dressing as you like, but a nice drizzle is plenty. I also think it would be great to have a balsamic reduction on there, since this recipe reminds me of our Caprese Salad. 😉
For more asparagus recipes, check out:
- Cream Cheese and Parmesan Asparagus
- Asparagus Bundles
- Chicken and Asparagus Pasta
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Skewers
and for More Side DIshes, try:
Asparagus Salad Recipe
- 3-4 cups water
- bowl ice water
- 1 bundle thin asparagus
- 1 small package cherry tomatoes
- 10 light string cheese
- 1/2 cup TB Newman's Own lighten Up Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing
- Rinse asparagus and tomatoes in water.
- Boil a few cups of water on the stove.
- Cut off bottoms of asparagus spears. Cut into thirds and boil for 5-7 minutes.
- Drain asparagus and place in a bowl of ice water to keep asparagus from cooking more.
- Cut cherry tomatoes in half.
- Cut string cheese.
- In a large bowl, place cherry tomatoes, asparagus and string cheese pieces.
- Pour dressing over the top. Add pepper and basil and mix. Chill until ready to serve.
Recipe adapted from Lean & Green Meal Cookbook.