Bacon Wrapped Asparagus is a smoky and savory side dish. It is crispy, delicious, and takes about 20 minutes to prepare!
Bacon wrapped asparagus is an easy appetizer that looks ultra fancy. This meaty side dish is sure to be a staple for mealtime. For more must make bacon dishes, be sure to try Bacon Wrapped Dates or Smokies, and a Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball.
Bacon wrapped asparagus in the oven
Cooking Bacon Wrapped Asparagus in the Oven is my favorite way to prepare this tasty side. It is a hands free “set it and forget it” kind of method that works great when you are multi-tasking.
This is a delicious and easy way to serve asparagus as the bacon adds a layer of smokiness. And let’s face it, doesn’t it look so fancy?! It’s a great side for a nicer dinner or an eye-catching appetizer.
I love asparagus in all of it’s forms, but this is an amazingly delicious way to to jazz it up!
How to make bacon wrapped asparagus
The bacon is meant to enhance the fresh delicious flavor of the asparagus. Use the following tips to help you pick the best asparagus:
- Buy when they’re in season
- The buds on the spears of the asparagus should be tight.
- Look for a bundle of medium sizes stalks
- When storing them place them in an open brown bag in the crisper drawer or you can stand them upright in a cup of water, toward the front of the fridge, for 7-10 days.
Trimming the stalks: You want to find stalks that are all about the same size that way they cook evenly. When you trim the stalks simply bend the spear and it will break right where the tender part meets the thicker portion. Discard the bottom.
PREP. Preheat oven, if using, to 400 degrees F.
SEASON. Lightly coat asparagus spears in extra-virgin olive oil. Season the asparagus with black pepper.
BUNDLE. Take a quick count of the spear tips. Divide the total number by four. Gather that number of spears and use a slice of bacon to wrap the bundle and secure the spears together. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
BAKE. For oven preparation, place bundles on slotted broiler pan. Bake 12 minutes.
Variations & Storing
Cooking options: I like to bake the bundles because you don’t have to tend to them while they’re cooking. However, you can also choose to cook them on the grill or on a griddle. You can make them crispier and you can adjust the amount of asparagus that the bacon wraps.
- Grill: Wrap the asparagus and drizzle with oil. Heat the grill to 400ºF. Use a vegetable tray, or a piece of tin foil on the grill, to put the asparagus bundles on. Grill for about 15-20 minutes or until the asparagus is tender and the bacon is crisp.
- Giddle: You can also cook these on the stove top. They splatter a lot, but the bacon can get really crispy. Turn the bundles to make sure all sides get cooked.
- Broiler: I also want to mention that you can use the oven broiler to help make the bacon a bit crisper after it has finished baking. Watch carefully so it doesn’t burn.
Asparagus Pairs: I love these beautiful bundles, but you can easily even out the bacon to asparagus ratio by wrapping each stalk individually or in pairs with a slice of bacon. Simply slice the bacon in half lengthwise and wrap 1-2 stalks with each acon slice. Place them on a cooking rack that has been set on a baking pan. Bake at 400°F for 12-15 minutes or until done.
You don’t want to cook these too far in advance, however you can prepare them the day before. Wrap the bundles with bacon and STORE in an airtight container in the fridge.
STORE any leftovers in the fridge for 1-2 days. To reheat them simply stick them under the broiler for 2-3 minutes. Flip halfway so both sides are warm and crisp.
More Vegetable Side ideas:
- Oven Roasted Vegetables
- Cheesy Zucchini Tots
- Roasted Broccoli
- Microwave Corn on the Cob
- Honey Glazed Carrots
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Recipe
- 1 ½ lbs asparagus Spears trimmed to a length of 4-5 inches
- extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- black pepper
- 4 slices center cut bacon
- chopped chives or scallions optional garnish
- Preheat oven, if using, to 400 degrees F.
- Lightly coat asparagus spears in extra-virgin olive oil. Season the asparagus with black pepper.
- Take a quick count of the spear tips. Divide the total number by four. Gather that number of spears and use a slice of bacon to wrap the bundle and secure the spears together.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- For oven preparation, place bundles on slotted broiler pan. Bake 12 minutes.