Simple and tasty Oven Baked Taquitos. These rolled tortillas are filled with chicken, cheese, salsa and so many delicious spices!
We love TACOS!! Which means, we also love taquitos. We have our classic chicken taquitos version, but today’s recipe is a healthier one that is baked and filled with so much flavor! We love to serve this recipe with our Spanish Rice and Homemade Salsa.
Oven Baked Tacos
Have you guys ever tried Taquitos before? Instead of the typical folded over taco, taquitos are usually rolled but typically have some of the same ingredients as tacos – meat and cheese. Growing up, we called these flautas, but now refer to them as taquitos since most people know them as this and we usually get weird glances when we say “flautas”. Any way, we’ve been making these ever since I was born, and have them on a regular basis.
Our all-time favorite taquitos recipe are these Cream Cheese and Chicken Taquitos, but we wanted to try a baked chicken taquitos version to eliminate all the oil in the original version and loved how it turned out!
Now, like most fried-turned-baked recipes, they are drier than the regular version but are still very delicious. Adding salsa, sour cream or guac is the perfect addition to make these not feel so dry, if you’re used to the oil-y, crunchy taquitos.
Oil or No Oil?
For this particular recipe, it calls for warming up the tortillas on a skillet to make them more flexible (this can be done WITH or WITHOUT oil). If you are trying to be healthier and want to use less or no oil there are a few things you can do…
- You can flash fry the tortillas without oil, add them to the pan and then bake.
- You can spray the tortillas with vegetable or olive oil spray right before baking.
- You can brush on olive oil or vegetable oil with a basting brush right before baking.
How to make Baked Chicken Taquitos
WARM TORTILLAS in a skillet over medium heat about 10 seconds each, until flexible.
FILL. Spread a heaping tablespoon of the chicken in the middle of each warmed tortilla. Start at the filled side of the tortilla and roll tightly to form a taquito. Place seamed side down in a lightly greased 9×13 baking dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas. Lightly spray with olive oil spray.
BAKE at 350 for 30 minutes. Serve immediately and enjoy!
we love to serve taquitos with:
For more taquito recipes, check out:
Baked Chicken Taquito Recipe
- 2 Chicken Breasts Cooked and shredded
- 1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- 1/4 cup Salsa
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt (with parsley flakes)
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Pepper
- 1 can Green Chilis (optional)
- 12 Corn Tortillas
- olive oil spray
- Combine chicken, cheese, salsa, spices and chiles in a bowl.
- Warm tortillas in a skillet over medium heat about 10 seconds each, until flexible.
- Spread a heaping tablespoon of the chicken in the middle of each warmed tortilla. Start at the filled side of the tortilla and roll tightly to form a taquito. Place seamed side down in a lightly greased 9x13 baking dish. Lightly spray with olive oil spray.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Adapted from allrecipes.com