This easy savory cheesy breakfast casserole is perfect for any morning or special holiday occasion. It is perfect for making ahead!
OH man, I love breakfast!
I’ve talked about this many times before, but our family loves to enjoy breakfast for dinner at least once a week. That is because our mornings are usually so crazy and rushed that we rarely have time for a real hot breakfast. It’s typically toast, bagels, cereal or oatmeal. Pretty lame, I know, but that is why we usually make breakfast for dinner every Wednesday. Sometimes we go savory – sometimes we go sweet.
Today’s recipe happens to be savory, and it’s another Cheesy Breakfast Casserole. I say “another” because I have quite a few here on the site, like my Cheesy Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole for example. The reason for this is because you really can’t go wrong with them. They also usually take just minutes to throw together and are always delicious. I mean, can you really go wrong with potatoes, eggs, cheese and bacon?? My point exactly. 😉
This breakfast casserole was simple and can also be changed up really easily. If you don’t love bacon, use sausage instead. You can also change up the cheese dependent on preference. So many ways to customize and make it easily how you want it.
Easy breakfast dish
PREP. Preheat oven to 350.
HASBROWNS. Combine hash browns, bacon, 1 cup cheese and salt in a large bowl. Mix well. Pour into a greased 9×13 dish.
EGGS. In another bowl, beat eggs, milk and paprika. Pour over hash brown mixture. Sprinkle with Paprika and remaining cheese.
BAKE. Bake for 40 – 45 minutes. Serve warm and ENJOY!
Tips + Storing Info
To make your hashbrowns follow this recipe.
- Add diced bell peppers
- Top with green onions or sliced avocados
- Change up the cheese: either substitute the cheddar cheese completely or come up with your own cheese combination. Some other cheeses you might try include mozzarella, pepperjack, or sharp cheddar
- Bring some heat with chilies or red pepper flakes.
This is a great casserole to make ahead of time. Either STORE it baked or unbaked until your ready to heat it up and serve.
- Baked: Allow the casserole to cool and cover. Store in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Remove from the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature and then warm it up in the oven. You can also freeze the casserole. Just cover with plastic wrap and aluminum foil for up tto 3 months. Thaw in the fridge before baking reheating.
- Unbaked: Assemble the casserole the night before, cover and keep in the fridge. In the morning remove from the fridge and let is sit on the counter for 15-20 minutes before baking. Bake uncovered according to recipe directions
STORE leftovers, covered, in the fridge for 2-3 days, or portion the casserole into single servings and freeze in airtight containers for up to three months. (Be sure the casserole has not been sitting out for more than 2 hours.) Reheat in the microwave or oven.
FREEZE leftover casserole in an airtight container for up to 3 months. The texture of some of the ingredients will change after freezing and thawing so be aware of that. When you’re ready to serve the leftovers let it thaw in the fridge overnight and then reheat in the oven or microwave, depending on the size of the serving.
For more savory breakfast dishes, check out:
- Biscuits and Gravy
- Bacon Breakfast Pizza
- Breakfast Crescent Ring
- Ham n Cheese Strata
- Breakfast Potato Casserole
Cheesy Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- 30 oz hashbrown potatoes thawed
- 1 lb bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine hash browns, bacon, 1 cup cheese and salt in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Pour into a greased 9×13 dish.
- In another bowl, beat eggs, milk and paprika. Pour over hash brown mixture. Sprinkle with paprika and remaining cheese.
- Bake for 40 – 45 minutes. Serve warm and ENJOY!
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.