Easy Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole is the perfect side dish to any dinner or holiday meal. It takes just 5 minutes of prep work and is hearty and delicious!
all-time favorite Casserole
We’ve discussed our love of potatoes many a time here on Lil’ Luna. One of the best ways to enjoy them is in casserole form, and although we have plenty of potato casserole recipes here on the blog, today’s Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole is another favorite that is great as a side dish for any dinner or holiday.
This hashbrown casserole reminds me of the Funeral Potatoes we’ve made for years and years but it’s even easier!! And the best part is we usually have these ingredients on hand at all times. All you need are some hashbrowns, cream of chicken, sour cream, cheese, bacon and salt and pepper.
This dish is an all-time favorite!
How to Make HashBrown Casserole
This recipe is very simple. And quick!
DUMP, MIX + BAKE. You literally mix everything together, dump it in a 9×13 and bake it!! You add some more cheese just before it’s done cooking, but I’m telling you – just FIVE (yes, 5!!) minutes of work.
It does call for bacon, but you can just use pre-cooked bacon if you’re going for easy. We loved that it required little work and was so delicious too.
We also have a slow cooker casserole version of this too so be sure to check it out.
Variations + Serving Guide
There are a few ways to change up this recipe. Here are some suggestions:
- Cubed Hashbrowns – You can use these, but you may need to cook it for a bit longer since the potatoes are more thick.
- Cheese – change up the flavor by using different cheeses.
- Additions/Toppings – diced bell peppers, green onions, avocado, chiles, or red pepper flakes
- Mexican version – add some green chiles and Mexican cheese
Holiday Serving Guide – each 9×13 dish can typically serve 8-10 people, with that in mind…
- For 20 people – double recipe
- For 25-30 people – triple recipe
- For 35 people – quadruple recipe
Making Ahead, freezing + reheating
MAKING AHEAD. Of course! We love that this side dish can be made up to 48 hours in advance. Just cover and store in the fridge until ready to bake. Add a few minutes to the cook time if the casserole is still cold.
FREEZING. Wrap the dish in freezer wrap or foil and store in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw completely before baking. Bake in the oven at 350 until heated through.
REHEATING. Reheating your hash brown casserole is a cinch! Just preheat your oven to 375 degrees and reheat for 7-10 minutes or until it’s warmed through. Or you can reheat in the microwave until heat thoroughly. The time will vary depending on your microwave.
With sour cream, bacon, cheese and cream of chicken/mushroom, this hash brown dish is a hit with everyone!
We always have potatoes as a side dish for Sunday meals and holiday dinners, so I’m glad we can use this recipe for those times, especially since everyone loves it.
For more potato casseroles, check out:
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Tater Tot Casserole
- Cheesy Mashed Potato Casserole
Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole Recipe
- 5 slices cooked bacon (cut into ½ inch pieces)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package frozen shredded hash browns thawed
- 10 oz cream of chicken and mushroom (1 can)
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine hash browns, bacon, soup, sour cream, and 1 cup cheese. Mix until well combined and spoon into a greased 13x9 dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Take out and sprinkle on the last of the cheese and cook an additional 10 minutes.