This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Cheesy hashbrown casserole takes minutes to prep and is the perfect side dish for any dinner or holiday meal!
This cheesy hashbrown casserole reminds me of the Funeral Potatoes we’ve made for years and years, but it’s even easier!!
all-time favorite Casserole
We’ve discussed our love of potatoes many a time here on Lil’ Luna. One of the best ways to enjoy them is in casserole form, and although we have plenty of potato casserole recipes, this cheesy hashbrown casserole is another favorite.
And the best part is we usually have these ingredients on hand at all times. This dish is an all-time favorite!
A Quick Prep Recipe!
This hashbrown casserole is very simple and quick!
PREP. Preheat oven to 375°F.
COMBINE. In a large bowl, combine hash browns, bacon, soup, sour cream, and 1 cup of cheese. Mix until well combined and spoon into a greased 13×9 baking dish.
COOK. Bake for 30 minutes. Take out and sprinkle on the last of the cheese and cook an additional 10 minutes.
Change it up!
While tasty as is, here are a few variations and suggestions to change this easy hashbrown casserole up a bit!
Potatoes. This is the backbone of the dish!
- Use cubed hashbrowns. You may need to cook it for a bit longer since the potatoes are thicker.
- Use fresh russet potatoes and make your own hash browns. Peel the potatoes then use a cheese grater to shred the potatoes (24 ounces). Place the shredded potatoes in a bowl of cold water to soak for 30-60 minutes. Drain, pat dry, and use in the recipe.
Cheese. Change up the flavor of these cheesy hashbrown potatoes by using different cheeses.
Additions. Add flavor with any of these ideas:
- Veggies. diced bell peppers, green onions, or avocado
- Add spice. chiles or red pepper flakes
- Meat. Use cubed ham in place of bacon bits
- Crunchy topping. crushed cornflake topping, potato chips, Ritz crackers, or bread crumbs on top
Mexican version. Add some green chiles and Mexican cheese.
While simple, these tips will help you achieve the best cheesy hashbrown casserole recipe.
Bacon. It does call for bacon, but you can just use pre-cooked bacon if you’re going for easy. We love that it requires little work and is so delicious too. If you want to use freshly cooked bacon, try out this Bacon in the Oven recipe.
Thawing potatoes. The best way to thaw the hashbrowns is to pour the bag of frozen potatoes into a colander. Place the colander in a pan and let the hashbrowns thaw at room temperature. The excess liquid will drain out of the colander.
Make ahead of time. We love that this side dish can be made up to 48 hours in advance. Just cover and store in the fridge until ready to bake. Add a few minutes to the cooking time if the casserole is still cold.
FREEZE. Wrap the cheesy hash brown casserole with plastic wrap and again with aluminum foil, and store in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw completely and remove wrappings before baking. Bake in the oven at 350°F, until heated through.
REHEAT. If you have leftovers, reheating your best cheesy hashbrown casserole is a cinch!
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and reheat for 7-10 minutes, or until it’s warmed through.
- Reheat in the microwave until heated thoroughly. The time will vary depending on your microwave.
Absolutely! In fact, we have a Slow Cooker Casserole version already written out for you so be sure to check it out.
If you can’t find a single soup with that combination, use one can of either Cream of Chicken Soup or one can of Cream of Mushroom Soup.
Each 9×13 dish can typically serve 8-10 people, with that in mind.
20 people: double recipe.
25-30 people: triple recipe.
35-40 people: quadruple recipe.
For More Potato Casseroles, Check Out:
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Tater Tot Casserole
- Cheesy Mashed Potato Casserole
- Ham and Potato Casserole
Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole Recipe
- 5 slices cooked bacon (cut into ½ inch pieces)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 24 ounces frozen shredded hash browns thawed
- 10 ounces cream of chicken and mushroom (1 can)
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, combine hash browns, bacon, soup, sour cream, and 1 cup of cheese. Mix until well combined and spoon into a greased 13×9 dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Take out and sprinkle on the last of the cheese and cook an additional 10 minutes.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.