Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole takes minutes to prep and is the perfect side dish to any dinner or holiday meal!
all-time favorite Casserole
We’ve discussed our love of potatoes many a time here on Lil’ Luna. One of the best ways to enjoy them is in casserole form, and although we have plenty of potato casserole recipes here on the blog, today’s Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole is another favorite.
This Hashbrown Casserole reminds me of the Funeral Potatoes we’ve made for years and years, but it’s even easier!! And the best part is we usually have these ingredients on hand at all times.
This dish is an all-time favorite!
How to Make HashBrown Casserole
This recipe is very simple. And quick!
PREP. Preheat oven to 375°F.
MIX. In a large bowl, combine hash browns, bacon, soup, sour cream, and 1 cup cheese. Mix until well combined and spoon into a greased 13×9 dish.
BAKE. Bake for 30 minutes. Take out and sprinkle on the last of the cheese and cook an additional 10 minutes.
Change it up!
There are a few variations for this recipe. Here are some suggestions:
Cubed Hashbrowns. You can use these, but you may need to cook it for a bit longer since the potatoes are more thick.
Cheese. Change up the flavor by using different cheeses.
- diced bell peppers
- green onions
- red pepper flakes
- cubed ham in place of bacon bits
- sprinkle crushed corn flakes, ritz crackers or bread crumbs on top
Mexican version. Add some green chiles and Mexican cheese.
Fresh potatoes. Use fresh russet potatoes and make your own hash browns. Peel the potatoes then use a cheese grater to shred the potatoes. Weigh out 24 oz and then place the shredded potatoes in a bowl of cold water to soak for 30-60 minutes. Drain, pat dry and use in the recipe.
Bacon. It does call for bacon, but you can just use pre-cooked bacon if you’re going for easy. We loved that it required little work and was so delicious too. If you want to use fresh cooked bacon try out this Bacon in the Oven recipe.
Slow cooker. We also have a slow cooker casserole version of this as well so be sure to check it out.
Thawing potatoes. The best way to thaw the hash brown is to pour the bag of the frozen potatoes into a colander. Place the colander in a pan and let the hash browns thaw at room temperature. The excess liquid will drain out of the colander.
Cream of soup. I used a can of “cream of chicken and mushroom Soup”. If you can’t find a soup with that combination, use a can of either cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom soup.
serving + STORING
Holiday Serving Guide. Each 9×13 dish can typically serve 8-10 people, with that in mind.
- For 20 people – double recipe
- For 25-30 people – triple recipe
- For 35 people – quadruple recipe
How to store
Make ahead of time. We love that this side dish can be made up to 48 hours in advance. Just cover and store in the fridge until ready to bake. Add a few minutes to the cook time if the casserole is still cold.
FREEZE. Wrap the dish in with plastic wrap and again with aluminum foil and store in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw completely and remove wrappings before baking. Bake in the oven at 350 until heated through.
REHEAT. Reheating your hash brown casserole is a cinch!
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and reheat for 7-10 minutes or until it’s warmed through.
- Or reheat in the microwave until heat thoroughly. The time will vary depending on your microwave.
For more potato casseroles, check out:
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Tater Tot Casserole
- Cheesy Mashed Potato Casserole
- Ham and Potato Casserole
Hashbrown Casserole Recipe
- 5 slices cooked bacon (cut into ½ inch pieces)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 24 oz frozen shredded hash browns thawed
- 10 oz cream of chicken and mushroom (1 can)
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, combine hash browns, bacon, soup, sour cream, and 1 cup of cheese. Mix until well combined and spoon into a greased 13×9 dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Take out and sprinkle on the last of the cheese and cook an additional 10 minutes.