Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole takes minutes to prep and is the perfect side dish to any dinner or holiday meal!
I love a good casserole, whether it’s the main dish or a side dish like this one! For more easy dishes like this Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole, try Cauliflower Casserole or Broccoli Cheese Casserole.
all-time favorite Casserole
We’ve discussed our love of potatoes many a time here on Lil’ Luna. One of the best ways to enjoy them is in casserole form, and although we have plenty of potato casserole recipes, this Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole is another favorite.
It’s great as a side dish for Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, or just a plain ol’ weeknight dinner.
This Hashbrown Casserole reminds me of the Funeral Potatoes we’ve made for years and years, but it’s even easier!! And the best part is we usually have these ingredients on hand at all times.
This dish is an all-time favorite!
How to Make HashBrown Casserole
This recipe is very simple. And quick!
PREP. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
MIX. In a large mixing bowl, combine hash browns, bacon, soup, sour cream, and 1 cup of cheese. Mix until well combined and spoon the mixture into a greased 13×9 dish.
BAKE. Bake for 30 minutes. Take out and sprinkle on the last of the cheese, and cook an additional 10 minutes.
Holiday Serving Guide
Each 9×13 dish can typically serve 8-10 people, with that in mind.
- For 20 people – double recipe
- For 25-30 people – triple recipe
- For 35 people – quadruple recipe
Change it up!
Here are a few variations and suggestions to change things up a bit:
- Use cubed hashbrowns. You may need to cook it for a bit longer since the potatoes are thicker.
- Use fresh russet potatoes and make your own hash browns. Peel the potatoes then use a cheese grater to shred the potatoes (24 oz.). Place the shredded potatoes in a bowl of cold water to soak for 30-60 minutes. Drain, pat dry and use in the recipe.
Cheese. Change up the flavor by using different cheeses.
- veggies: diced bell peppers, green onions, or avocado
- add spice: chiles or red pepper flakes
- cubed ham in place of bacon bits
- crunchy top: sprinkle crushed corn flakes, potato chips, ritz crackers, or bread crumbs on top
Mexican version. Add some green chiles and Mexican cheese.
Bacon. It does call for bacon, but you can just use pre-cooked bacon if you’re going for easy. We love that it requires little work and is so delicious too. If you want to use freshly cooked bacon, try out this Bacon in the Oven recipe.
Slow cooker. We also have a Slow Cooker Casserole version of this as well so be sure to check it out.
Thawing potatoes. The best way to thaw the hashbrowns is to pour the bag of frozen potatoes into a colander. Place the colander in a pan and let the hashbrowns thaw at room temperature. The excess liquid will drain out of the colander.
Cream of soup. I used a can of “Cream of Chicken and Mushroom Soup”. If you can’t find a soup with that combination, use a can of either Cream of Chicken Soup or Cream of Mushroom Soup.
Make ahead of time. We love that this side dish can be made up to 48 hours in advance. Just cover and store in the fridge until ready to bake. Add a few minutes to the cooking time if the casserole is still cold.
FREEZE. Wrap the dish with plastic wrap and again with aluminum foil, and store in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw completely and remove wrappings before baking. Bake in the oven at 350°, until heated through.
REHEAT. If you have leftovers, reheating your hash brown casserole is a cinch!
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and reheat for 7-10 minutes, or until it’s warmed through.
- Reheat in the microwave until heated thoroughly. The time will vary depending on your microwave.
For more potato casseroles, check out:
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Tater Tot Casserole
- Cheesy Mashed Potato Casserole
- Ham and Potato Casserole
Hashbrown Casserole Recipe
- 5 slices cooked bacon (cut into ½ inch pieces)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 24 oz frozen shredded hash browns thawed
- 10 oz cream of chicken and mushroom (1 can)
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, combine hash browns, bacon, soup, sour cream, and 1 cup of cheese. Mix until well combined and spoon into a greased 13×9 dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Take out and sprinkle on the last of the cheese and cook an additional 10 minutes.
My husband has told me that he could never divorce me since I have been making your recipes! My boys have no trouble expressing their love or dislike of any dish I make. I must say, the recipes are so easy to follow and simple and absolutely delicious! I try to make a new dish every night. I plan the weekly menu in advance and then make one every night. Casseroles are a big life saver during the winters. Who doesn’t love potatoes? Thank you Kristyn.
Love this Casserole!!! So easy, tasty, and pleases everyone 💕
Happy to hear that! Thank you!!
This is always a favourite. Great for pot lucks.
Yes, for sure!! Thank you!
these are so good!! ive made these many times, and every time they turn out awesome!
Love to hear that!! Thank you!!
Delicious and creamy dish! Very easy to whip up when you’re short on time. I thaw the hash browns in advance and keep them in the fridge.
Perfect!! Thank you for sharing that!
Love this casserole dish but instead of bacon, I use cubed ham. Perfect for holidays and potlucks.
Great option for sure!! Thank you!
Can’t go wrong with potatoes, bacon and cheese!
Exactly!! Thank you!
This is the best, I love this cheesy hash browns casserole. It’s easy to make, easy to double or triple, extra delicious and cheesy and never let you down. My go to for any meal. Everyone’s favorite and I love baked ham with this casserole, so far it’s great with any meat. Excellent recipe.
Thank you for sharing that!! That’s why I love it, too!
Looks and tastes great! Thanks for sharing, always a hit when I make it.
My husband loved this casserole! Its his favorite weekend meal!
If you haven’t tried these potatoes then you really need to make it a priority. They are so good. They practically melt in your mouth and are very addictive
Love this recipe!!! It has the best flavor and I appreciate the way you give us different choices/ideas of ways to cook, things to substitute and all the step by step directions on how to make your recipes!! This is my favorite version that I have seen and we live casseroles! Thank you!!
This recipe looks so good and easy to prepare. Will make it for supper.
We make this all the time. Very good
See More Comments