Hi there! Natalie from Life Made Simple here today!!
This cozy, comforting dish is perfect for those busy weeknights! It’s packed full of flavor and ready to go in just 40 minutes!
I always struggle with what to make for dinner during the week, how about you? That’s where this chicken stroganoff comes in. It only takes 40 minutes start-to-finish and it’s so filling and delicious, you’ll want to lick your plate clean- our 2 year old did!
To start you’ll want to cut and season about a pound of chicken breasts. Once you brown the chicken, transfer it to a plate and make the sauce. I like to start by browning my mushrooms. I get them nice and dark, then I add the shallot, onion and garlic. For added flavor you can pour in a few tablespoons of white wine but it’s totally optional (it does cook off). Next comes the butter and flour. Cook it for a minute or two then whisk in your chicken broth until a smooth sauce forms. Add the worcestershire sauce, thyme, salt and pepper and simmer until it thickens.
Toss in the chicken and cook for about 5 minutes so that it gets thoroughly cooked throughout. Pour in the egg noodles and sour cream and cook until everything is combined. Garnish with some freshly chopped parsley and enjoy immediately!
Our family loved this easy, flavorful, and filling meal. It’s definitely something we’ll be making over & over again. The best part is that the leftovers taste just as good, which means there’s no need to worry about what to whip up for lunch or dinner the next day, because it’s totally taken care of 🙂 I hope you’ll enjoy this chicken stroganoff too!
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 lb. chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 2 c. sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tbsp. white wine (optional)
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 4 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 1 lb. egg noodles (whole wheat or regular), cooked and drained
- ⅓ c. sour cream, plus more for garnishing
- chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- In a large skillet set over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Meanwhile, place the cut chicken into a bowl. Season with garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, and ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper; toss to combine.
- Place the chicken in the hot pan (taking care not to overcrowd- you may need to do two batches) and brown, about 2-5 minutes on each side. The chicken does not need to be cooked throughout. Remove from the pan and transfer to a plate (continue with remaining chicken if needed).
- Add the the remaining tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add the mushroom and cook until brown, about 4 minutes. Add the shallot, onion and garlic and stir occasionally until they are soft and translucent. Pour in the wine and cook for 1 minute, then add the butter and flour. Whisk continuously taking care not to burn. SLOWLY add the chicken stock, whisking to create a smooth sauce. Add the worcestershire, thyme, and the remaining salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and allow the sauce to thicken.
- Toss in the chicken, turn the heat down to medium-low and continue to cook for 5-8 minutes. Add the egg noodles and the sour cream and stir until combined. Cook for 2 more minutes, add salt and pepper to taste, then remove from the heat and garnish with parsley, if desired.
You can find more recipes & craft ideas here:
This looks SOOOO delicious! We’re a fan of stroganoff here at our house.
Definitely going to try this recipe for dinner soon! Thanks for sharing Natalie!!
Go visit Natalie over at Life Made Simple to see more of her amazing recipes.
And for more awesome dinner recipes, check out these posts:
For all main dish recipes, go HERE.
For all recipes, go HERE.
And get weekly emails with monthly freebies by signing up for the Lil’ Luna newsletter. 🙂
Don’t miss a thing – Sign up for the Lil’ Luna Newsletter today!
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my latest ebook!