Hello again, Lil’ Luna readers! It’s Alicia from The Baker Upstairs, and I am so happy to be back as a contributor this year! I love sharing delicious recipes with you, and Kristyn’s site is one of my favorites for inspiration, happy posts, and all things good.
These coffee cake cupcakes with brown butter glaze that I am sharing today are life changing! I’m not sure I’ve ever had a more heavenly smell in my kitchen than when I was baking these little beauties. They have a light and tender coffee cake base, with a sweet and crumbly pecan streusel mixed in and a to-die-for brown butter glaze over the top. Plus, they are cupcakes. For breakfast. What more could you want?
I decided to vary a little from the original recipe and made these using a reverse creaming method, which I think made them extra tender and moist. I know the reverse creaming method has been around for quite a while, but I only discovered it recently, and I am in love! Basically, instead of creaming the butter and sugar together to start the recipe, you cut the butter into the dry ingredients (as though you were making pastries or biscuits) and then add the wet ingredients. It really reduces over-mixing and results in a lighter baked product overall, which is perfect for these cupcakes!
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 325. Line 12 muffins cups with paper liners. In a small bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and pecans. Add the melted butter and mix until combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Cut in the butter using a pastry blender or two knives, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl or a measuring cup, whisk together the eggs, greek yogurt, and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Scoop one tablespoon of batter into each of the muffin cups. Sprinkle about a teaspoon of the streusel mixture over the batter, then top with remaining batter. Sprinkle the tops of the cupcakes with the remaining streusel. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean. Remove and let cool.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, add the tablespoon of butter to a small skillet and cook over medium low heat until lightly browned and fragrant. (Watch carefully so that it does not burn.) Add the powdered sugar to a medium bowl and add the brown butter. Whisk to combine. Whisk in the vanilla and add milk until the glaze is a thick honey consistency. Drizzle over the cooled cupcakes.
adapted from Tori Avey
These coffee cake cupcakes are sure to be a new family favorite, and would be wonderful for a special breakfast or brunch. I hope you’ll enjoy them as much as I did!
Anyone else drooling!?
I’ve always been a huge fan of Coffee Cake, so to have it in a cupcake form with a glaze sounds even more amazing!
Thank you, Alicia!
For more great recipes from her, be sure to check out, The Baker Upstairs.
For more delicious breakfast sweets, check out these favorites:
And for some more delicious breakfast muffins, check out:
For all breakfast recipes go HERE.
For all recipes go HERE.
And get weekly emails with monthly freebies by signing up for the Lil’ Luna newsletter. 🙂