Give these Mini Cinnamon Rolls a try and you’ll fall in love with their tender, sweet centers and irresistible cream cheese frosting! These cinnamon rolls are ready in under 90 minutes, and they’re perfect for big gatherings! They always disappear in seconds!
90 Minute Cinnamon Rolls
I don’t know about you, but I absolutely adore cinnamon rolls! We make them for special occasions and they’re always the first thing to disappear. Instead of making big cinnamon rolls, we decided to try Mini Cinnamon Rolls! These are perfect for parties because one batch makes two dozen bite-size rolls. It’s the perfect gooey finger-food. But let’s be honest, you don’t need an excuse to make these yummy rolls – they’re also a great weekend breakfast treat.
They only require a few extra minutes of prep work than regular cinnamon rolls (you’ll use a pizza cutter to cut out strips vs. doing one big roll and slicing it), which is totally worth it- trust me! Plus, these mini cinnamon rolls are ready to go in a little under 90 minutes… not too shabby, right? Give these Mini Cinnamon Rolls a try and you’ll fall in love with their tender, sweet centers and irresistible cream cheese frosting!
Tips for making Mini Cinnamon Rolls:
- After you heat the milk, sugar, butter, and milk in the microwave, let the mixture cool to about 120 before gradually adding it to the flour mixture.
- If you aren’t using a stand mixer, just knead the dough by hand on a lightly floured surface for 3-4 minutes until it becomes elastic.
- After kneading the dough, cover it in plastic wrap and let it rest on the counter for 10 minutes.
- Use a pizza roller/cutter to quickly cut the dough into 24 strips.
- Let the dough raise in the oven at 200° for about 45 minutes with a sheet of tinfoil placed gently on top, then take them out and re-preheat the oven to 375° and bake for 15-18 minutes without tinfoil.
- Wait to frost the mini cinnamon rolls until they’ve cooled.
The 90 minutes it takes to make these babies is TOTALLY worth it. I think your family will agree. 😉
For more of our favorite cinnamon roll recipes, check out these:
- Cinnamon Roll Waffles
- Maple Bacon Cinnamon Rolls
- Super Soft Cinnamon Rolls
- Cinnamon Roll Bites
- One Hour Cinnamon Rolls
Mini Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
- 2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp instant yeast
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon and 1 tsp
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp whole milk (to desired thickness)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour, yeast and salt.
- In a small microwave safe bowl (or glass measuring cup), combine the sugar, butter, water and milk. Heat in the microwave until the mixture is hot and the butter is almost melted (it took about 1 minute on HIGH in my microwave). Let the mixture come down to 120 degrees. Gradually add the milk mixture into the flour mixture. Add the egg and mix until a soft and sticky dough forms.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- If using a stand mixer, switch to the dough hook and set on the lowest mixing setting for 4 minutes or until the dough becomes elastic or knead by hand on a lightly floured surface for 3-4 minutes. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and allow it to rest on the counter for 10 minutes.
- Once the dough has rested, roll it out on a lightly floured surface until it measures a 24x16 inch rectangle. Prepare the filling by combining all of the ingredients in a small mixing bowl except for the butter. Spread the butter over the top of the rolled dough, then cover with the filling. Using a pizza roller/cutter, cut out 24 strips of dough (show in pictures below). Roll each up into a tight roll.
- Place the rolls into a lightly greased 9x13 baking dish and gently place a piece of aluminum foil over top. Turn OFF your oven and place the covered rolls inside to rise for 45 minutes.
- Remove the rolls from the oven and turn ON your oven to 375 degrees. Once heated, remove the foil and bake the rolls for 15-18 minutes or until the centers are lightly golden brown in color.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before frosting. While rolls are cooling, prepare the frosting by combining all of the ingredients in a small mixing bowl and beating by hand or with a hand mixer until smooth. Spread over the tops of the rolls.
For more amazing recipes by Natalie, go visit her at her (NEW and improved!) site, Life Made Simple!!