This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This homemade cinnamon roll recipe is our ALL-TIME favorite. These rolls always get rave reviews from anyone who tries them!
Mom’s Famous Rolls
My mom is a wonderful cook and baker. Pretty much everything she makes is delicious, but there are certain things she’s “famous” for like these homemade cinnamon rolls.
They always turn out soft and gooey and just so finger-licking good, covered in Cinnamon Roll Icing.
How to Make Cinnamon Rolls
Many are intimidated by the thought of making cinnamon rolls, but with these step-by-step instructions you can feel confident in making this delicious cinnamon roll recipe!
DOUGH. In a large bowl, or in the bowl of a stand mixer, dissolve active dry yeast in warm milk. Add sugar and 1 cup of flour. Stir gently, cover, and set aside until doubled in size, about 30-45 minutes.
Add butter, salt, eggs, and remaining flour. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes, or use your dough hook attachment (dough will be a little sticky). Place back in the bowl and cover to let rise until doubled in size.
Filling the cinnamon rolls
FILLING. While the dough is rising, make the filling by combining brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour in a small bowl.
ROLL + CUT. With a rolling pin, roll out onto a 21×16 rectangle, about ¼ inch thick.
Spread the ⅓ cup softened butter then sprinkle with the cinnamon mixture. Roll up long ways and cut into 1¾-inch slices. (Use a serrated knife, or I like to cut my rolls using dental floss!)
You should get about 12 cinnamon rolls.
Place on a greased baking dish or jelly roll pan and let double in size.
BAKE. Bake at 375°F for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. While the rolls are baking, whisk all icing ingredients together and spread over warm rolls.
Print off the recipe card and get baking – everyone will thank you!
make Ahead of Time
It is very common to make cinnamon rolls ahead of time, especially for holidays or special occasions. Do this in a few ways:
- Refrigerate the dough. Make, fill, and cut the dough. Before rising the third and final time, put them in the fridge. When ready to bake, remove from fridge and let it rise until doubled in size. Bake as usual!
- Freeze them unbaked. Make, fill, cut the dough, and then freeze unbaked. Take them out of the freezer, thaw, rise, and then bake as usual.
- Freeze them baked. Bake and frost the cinnamon rolls then flash-freeze them on a pan. Once solid, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or tinfoil and store them in an airtight container in the freezer. Thaw them at room temperature or in an oven set to 300°F.
For the perfect breakfast, use these simple tips for the best cinnamon rolls recipe.
Flour. It is fine to substitute bread flour for all-purpose flour, but do not use self-rising flour.
- The yeast in this recipe provides all the leavening necessary for the rolls to rise just right creating fluffy cinnamon rolls.
Do not over-knead. It is important not to over-knead the cinnamon roll dough. It should be soft and elastic for the softest texture.
Overworking and overhandling the dough, whether during the kneading or rolling out process, will result in a tougher roll.
Make a big batch. One of the best things about these cinnamon buns is that it can easily be doubled to make a big batch. A warm, gooey cinnamon roll makes the best gift for friends and family!
STORE. To keep your cinnamon rolls from drying out or getting stale, allow them to fully cool to room temperature before storing.
- Countertop. Cover with aluminum foil and store for up to 3 days.
- Refrigerator. Place cooled rolls in a Ziploc bag or cover them with plastic wrap and store for up to a week.
To keep your cinnamon rolls from drying out or getting stale, allow them to fully cool to room temperature before storing in airtight containers in the fridge or on the counter.
Overworking and overhandling the dough whether during the kneading or rolling out process will result in a tougher cinnamon roll.
Easily freeze unbaked or baked rolls, see specific tips in the “make ahead” section above!
For more great sweet rolls, Try:
- Cinnamon Roll Bites
- Orange Rolls
- Mini Cinnamon Rolls
- Maple Bacon Cinnamon Rolls
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll Bites
Homemade Cinnamon Roll Recipe
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add sugar and 1 cup of flour. Stir gently, cover, and set aside until doubled in size, about 30-45 minutes.
- Add butter, salt, egg,s and remaining flour. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes (dough will be a little sticky) Place back in the bowl and cover to let rise until doubled in size.
- While the dough is rising, make the filling by combining brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour in a small bowl.
- Roll out onto a 21×16 rectangle, about ¼ inch thick.
- Spread the ⅓ cup softened butter then sprinkle with the cinnamon mixture. Roll up long ways and cut into 1¾-inch slices. You should get about 12 cinnamon rolls.
- Place on a greased jelly roll pan and let double in size.
- Bake at 375°F for 15-20 minutes.
- While the rolls are baking, mix all icing ingredients together. and spread over warm rolls.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Pictures for this recipe were re-taken by contributor, Alicia, of The Baker Upstairs.