Our ALL-TIME Favorite Cinnamon Roll recipe! These rolls are so soft and gooey, topped with with a delicious cream cheese frosting. They always get rave reviews with anyone who tries them!
Mom’s Famous Rolls
She has tried several Cinnamon Roll recipes in her years, but this one is her favorite, and the one she makes most frequently. They always turn out soft and gooey and just so finger-licking good!
Everyone loves these cinnamon rolls so much that she is often asked to make them in large quantities around the holidays for people to give as Christmas gifts. Yes, it’s true. Many a time I would come to the house to see dozens and dozens of cinnamon rolls laid out for people to come pick up.
I decided it was about time I shared the recipe, so you all can enjoy these amazing sweet rolls!
How to Make Them Step by Step
So many people are intimidated by the thought of homemade cinnamon rolls. But do not fear! With these step by step instructions, you can feel confident in making this delicious recipe!
Step 1: Make the Dough. It’s important to start with quality ingredients, and especially the yeast! Make sure your yeast is fresh (not expired). I typically use active dry yeast in this recipe. But if you’re an experienced baker and know how to adjust recipes for rapid rise yeast, you can.
In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk (you can microwave the milk in 15 second increments to warm it up). Add sugar and 1 cup of flour. Stir gently, cover and set aside until doubled in size, about 30-45 minutes.
After it has risen the first time, add butter, salt, eggs and remaining flour. Mix well with wooden spoon.
Step 2: Knead the Dough. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes (dough will be a little sticky). Place back in the bowl and cover lightly with plastic wrap or a dish towel. Let it rise a second time until doubled in size.
Step 3: Fill the Dough. While dough is rising, make the filling by combining brown sugar, cinnamon and flour in a small bowl.
Once the dough has risen again, roll it out into a 21×16 rectangle, about ¼ inch thick. Spread the ⅓ cup softened butter over the dough, then sprinkle with the cinnamon mixture.
Step 4: Cut Dough Into Rolls. Roll up the rectangle, starting at the long end, and cut into 1¾ inch slices. Tip: Measure it out before cutting and use a knife to mark where you will make your cuts. Use either a knife or string to make clean slices. You should get about 12 cinnamon rolls.
Step 5: Bake. Place on a greased jelly roll pan and let double in size. When they are ready, bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes.
Step 6: Add Icing. While rolls are baking, mix all icing ingredients together. Be sure to start with room temperature ingredients for best results. Spread the icing over warm rolls right after they come out of the oven. This will make them perfectly gooey and delicious!
If you need to make these ahead of time…
Which is totally common (especially when you’re making them for a holiday or special occasion), you can do it a couple different ways:
- Make, fill, and cut the dough. But before you let it rise the third and final time, put the jelly roll pan in the fridge. When you’re ready to bake, take it out of the fridge and let it rise until it has doubled in size. Then bake as usual!
- Make fill, and cut the dough, and then freeze them unbaked. In this case, you will again want to take them out of the freezer, let them thaw, rise, and then bake as usual.
- Bake and frost your cinnamon rolls, then flash freeze them on a pan. Once they are solid, you can wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or tinfoil, and store them in an airtight container in the freezer. When you’re ready to use them, thaw at room temperature, or in an oven set to 300°F.
If you love Cinnamon Rolls as much we do, I highly recommend trying this recipe. As I mentioned before, they are so soft and the frosting on top is amazing!! I know you’ll love them!
For more great sweet rolls, check out:
- Cinnamon Roll Bites
- Orange Rolls
- Mini Cinnamon Rolls
- Strawberry Cinnamon Rolls
- Pumpkin cinnamon Roll Bites
Cinnamon Roll Recipe
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/3 cup butter softened
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add sugar and 1 cup of flour. Stir gently, cover and set aside until doubled in size, about 30-45 minutes.
- Add butter, salt, eggs and remaining flour. Mix well with wooden spoon.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes (dough will be a little sticky) Place back in the bowl and cover to let rise until doubled in size.
- While dough is rising, make the filling by combining brown sugar, cinnamon and flour in a small bowl.
- Roll out onto a 21x16 rectangle, about ¼ inch thick.
- Spread the ⅓ cup softened butter then sprinkle with the cinnamon mixture. Roll up long ways and cut into 1¾ inch slices. You should get about 12 cinnamon rolls.
- Place on a greased jelly roll pan and let double in size.
- Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes.
- While rolls are baking, mix all icing ingredients together. and spread over warm rolls.
Pictures for this recipe were re-taken by contributor, Alicia, of The Baker Upstairs.