Creamy sweet banana pudding is the best dessert to bring for a party! It steals the show with its light banana flavor, thick pudding, and crunchy vanilla cookies.
This classic dessert is perfect any time of the year. Whether you are serving it in a trifle, in individual jars or in a casserole dish, no one can resist it’s delicious flavors. Be sure to check out our Banana Pudding Poke Cake too!
Homemade Banana Pudding
I have a soft spot in my heart for homemade banana pudding. It’s one of my very favorite desserts. It’s requires simple ingredients, comes together pretty quick, and the flavor is addicting! I could eat that silky smooth pudding all day long.
One of the best things about banana pudding is the way you serve it.
You can layer it in a trifle dish with all it’s delicious ingredients and serve it with a big spoon. You can also serve it in individual small cups or mason jars. Then everyone gets to eat their own little serving of banana pudding. You can even serve it in a casserole dish! Or even as a Poke Cake!
No matter how you prepare it, this classic treat is bound to be a favorite with anyone who tries it.
How to make Banana Pudding
Banana pudding consists of four layers:
- Nilla Wafer cookies
- Pudding mixture
- Sliced bananas
- Whipped topping
PUDDING. Get started with making the pudding mixture first. Beat the cream cheese in a large bowl until smooth and fluffy- make sure there are no clumps!
Then mix in the sweetened condensed milk, pudding mix, cold milk and vanilla. Combine everything until smooth. Fold in 8 oz. (2 cups) of whipped cream topping and put it in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill.
- Grab your trifle dish and layer vanilla cookies around the edge on the bottom.
- Then add half the pudding mixture and spread it across the bottom of the dish.
- Top that with a layer of sliced bananas.
- Then put a layer of whipped cream on top of the bananas
- Repeat the layers in that order.
- Finish it off with vanilla cookies on top and a few bananas.
Keep it in the fridge to chill for at least an hour or overnight.
This banana pudding recipe is similar to our banana pudding poke cake! That recipe is perfect for when you’re wanting the flavors of banana pudding but also want to eat cake. Everything you love about banana pudding in cake form!
It’s also one of the easiest dessert recipes EVER. Give both of these recipes a try- I know you will love them.
Making Ahead and storing
Can it be made ahead? Vanilla Wafer Banana pudding just gets better with time. That’s why I love this dessert. The longer it sits in the fridge, the more soft the cookies get by soaking in all the moisture from the pudding.
It tastes amazing on day two or even day three, which is why it’s a great make-ahead dessert. If you’re going to make it ahead of time, don’t put any bananas on top or they will look brown and gross the next day.
How to store banana pudding? You can leave it in the trifle dish, or whatever dish you serve it in, and cover it tightly with plastic wrap. Homemade banana pudding can last 5-6 days covered in the fridge.
Are you excited to try this recipe? I hope you love it!
For more pudding recipes, check out:
- Bread Pudding
- Oreo Pudding Pie
- Slow Cooker Rice Pudding
- Banana Pudding Cheesecake
- Paradise Parfaits
- Pudding Milkshake
Banana Pudding Recipe
- 1 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 1 5 oz. instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3 cups cold milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 8 oz. whipped topping thawed (or 6 cups homemade whipped cream)
- 4 bananas sliced
- 1/2 12 oz. box Vanilla Wafers
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy and with no clumps. Add sweetened condensed milk, pudding mix, cold milk and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Fold in 8 oz. whipped cream and mix until combined. Let chill in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Line the bottom of a trifle dish with vanilla wafers around the edge. Add half the pudding mixture and spread across, topped with a layer of sliced bananas. Add a layer of whipped topping. Repeat layers. Nilla wafers - pudding mixture - bananas - whipped topping.
- Top with more wafers and banana slices if desired. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.