Yummy black and white Halloween Puppy Chow is chocolatey and crunchy with pops of peanut butter & chewy candy corn that everyone will love!!
We love Halloween treats!
Are you ready for Halloween? I helped my mom take out some decorations this week. We still haven’t put up spider webs so we’re not done yet but will be soon.
Last week we got in the kitchen and made a yummy Halloween Treat for you called Halloween Puppy Chow. It has Candy Corns in it, and it’s so yummy! My mom had the idea to put it in this bowl with the skeleton. She said she bought it from Walmart ($4.97) as well as the bowl ($4.97). It was perfect for our Puppy Chow to go in.
She said you can buy a skeleton that costs only $1 at Dollar Tree but we both think the skeleton from Walmart is cooler. I think you will love this Halloween Puppy Chow. It is perfect for your next party. 😉
Making halloween puppy chow
CEREAL. Split cereal in half and put 4.5 cups in one bowl and 4.5 cups in another bowl. Set aside.
SAUCE. In a pan, heat white chocolate chips, ¼ cup peanut butter, and ¼ cup butter or margarine. Stir frequently until melted. Add ½ tsp. vanilla.
COAT. Remove from heat and pour over one of the bowls of cereal until evenly coated. Pour into a gallon bag with ¾ cup powdered sugar. Seal bag and shake until well coated.
REPEAT. Repeat Steps 2 & 3 for the chocolate Chex.
COMBINE + ENJOY! Pour white chocolate and milk chocolate Chex into one bowl. Add candy corns and mix well. Store in airtight containers.
Tips , Variations + Storing Info
We wanted the white and brown chocolate pieces to shine so we went the super simple route by only adding candy corn. It’s both festive and delicious. If you want to add more treats to the mix you certainly can. Here are a few more yummy and cute ideas:
- Halloween colored M&Ms
- Reeses Pieces
- Mini Pretzels
- Mini marshmallows, if you have time, add ghost faces on some of them
- Broken Orange Stuffed Oreos
- Candy pumpkins instead of candy corn
I love how fun the skeleton turned out buried inside the puppy chow, but you can use any kind of Halloween serving dish. Some other fun ideas include:
- A black witches cauldron
- Glass cookie jar with a Jack O Lantern face on it. Use vinyl or a permanent marker to add the face. The marker can be washed off using a magic eraser.
- Large plastic Halloween bowl found at the dollar store
- Serve out of a hollow plastic pumpkin.
**Important Note: Sometimes people call this treat Muddy Buddies or Monkey Munch instead of Puppy Chow. I even saw someone call the Halloween version Werewolf Chow! LOL No matter what it is called it should NOT ever be given to puppy dogs to eat. The chocolate can be very harmful for them.
I love treats that store well. Especially because it means I can make it ahead of time for parties or quick snacks. Store Halloween Puppy Chow on the counter or in the freezer.
STORE in an airtight container at room temperature. For best results eat within 3-4 days but it can last for 5-7 days.
FREEZE our Halloween Puppy chow for up to 3 months. Just place it in a freezer safe airtight container. Another way to freeze it is to divide the puppy chow into snack size portions before putting it into a freezer safe container. The snack size makes it super easy for kids to grab and go, or to toss in the lunch box. Be sure to let the candy corn thaw before munching or you may hurt your teeth.
For more yummy Halloween Treats be sure to check out:
- Gooey Monster Eye Cookies
- White Chocolate Pumpkin Pie Spice Snickerdoodles
- Candy Corn Pretzel Fudge
- Pumpkin Oreos
- Creepy Cupcakes
- Oogie Boogie Trifle
Halloween Puppy Chow Recipe
- Split cereal in half and put 4.5 cups in one bowl and 4.5 cups in another bowl. Set aside.
- In a pan, heat white chocolate chips, ¼ cup peanut butter, and ¼ cup butter or margarine. Stir frequently until melted. Add ½ tsp. vanilla.
- Remove from heat and pour over one of the bowls of cereal until evenly coated. Pour into a gallon bag with ¾ cup powdered sugar. Seal bag and shake until well coated.
- Repeat Steps 2 & 3 for the chocolate Chex.
- Pour white chocolate and milk chocolate Chex into one bowl. Add candy corns and mix well. Store in airtight containers.