This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Hot Chocolate Gift includes a homemade hot cocoa recipe and gift idea with free printable tags – perfect for sharing!
This Hot Chocolate Gift makes a delightful present for neighbors and friends. For more festive shareable ideas try a Holiday Spice Jar, Christmas Cookie Jar, Merry Christmas Salsa, Christmas Soda Pop Bottle Gift Set, or Merry Christmas Candy Bar Wrappers.
a cozy gift!
Knowing we have a fabulous recipe for a homemade Hot Chocolate Mix, I thought it would be fun to create a perfect gift for sharing with those chocolate lovers.
This DIY Hot Chocolate Gift comes together quickly and can be gifted in a variety of ways (for families or individuals). I have included all of the ideas, and a cute printable tag to make gift-giving a breeze!
Making a hot chocolate gift set
This Hot Cocoa Gift is easy to make and perfect for sharing this holiday season! To start, you’ll need:
- TWO Quart Mason Jar
- Hot Cocoa ingredients
- 1½ cups Mini Marshmallows (divided – ¾ cup for each jar)
- Printable tag (below), if desired
HOT COCOA MIX. In a large bowl, sift together powdered sugar, powdered milk, unsweetened cocoa powder, and salt. Mix to combine well.
STORE. Pour into storage containers and add mini marshmallows, if desired. Store in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 6 months.
To make cocoa, mix ¼ cup hot cocoa mix with ¾ cup warm milk. Add your hot cocoa to a jar and leave enough room for some mini marshmallows.
This recipe makes 5½ cups of hot chocolate mix. One serving uses ¼ cup of powder, so this recipe will make 22 individual servings.
Hot Chocolate Mix tips
Classic Hot Chocolate Mix contains 3 main ingredients: powdered milk, cocoa, and sugar. The better the quality of ingredients, the better your chocolate mix will turn out to be.
Powdered milk. Use whole milk powder or nonfat dry milk powder (found in the baking aisle at the grocery store).
Some powdered milk will have a strange aftertaste which will be present in the hot chocolate. Morning Moo, Judee’s, Bob’s Red Mill, or Carnation all make good powdered milk.
Cocoa powder. The type of cocoa powder used sets the foundation for this drink. Use natural baking cocoa, cacao powder, or dutch processed cocoa. Do not use chocolate milk mix or hot chocolate powder to make this recipe.
Powdered sugar is the same as confectioners sugar. In a pinch, you can use granulated sugar, but it won’t be as smooth or sweet. Sift the powdered sugar to eliminate any clumps.
Variations. Mix in unique flavors like cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin spice, or cayenne pepper to the hot chocolate mix.
Hot Chocolate Gift Set tips
Divide the mix in different ways depending on the type of gift you wish to give.
Print out the cute tag and be sure to include instructions on how to make a serving of hot chocolate. I usually just write it on the back of the gift tag: “Mix ¼ cup hot cocoa mix with ¾ cup hot milk or water”.
Jar. Each quart mason jar contains about 2¾ cups of hot chocolate powder which will yield 11 servings of hot chocolate.
Add a festive cover over the top of the jar and secure it with a ribbon and gift tag. I have also seen metal red and green lids and rings that can be used.
Mug. Use the mix to create personal Hot Chocolate Mugs.
- Add ¼ cup of chocolate mix and a few mini marshmallows to a plastic bag. Tie off the top and insert it into a mug.
- Wrap the entire mug with cellophane or secure a tissue paper or fabric circle over the top of the mug.
- Attach the gift tag.
Basket. Use the Hot Chocolate Mix as the base to create a gift basket. Design them to include enough for a large family or a smaller basket for 1 or 2 people.
Additional gift basket ideas:
- Add a few individual containers of flavored coffee creamer.
- Add cinnamon sticks, candy canes, or peppermint spoons which can be used to stir the hot cocoa as well as add extra flavor.
- Include a packet of white chocolate chips, crushed peppermint candies, or Ghirardelli squares that can be stirred into a cup of hot chocolate.
- A package of cookies to eat with a cup of cocoa.
- Include stylish mugs or disposable hot drink cups with lids.
For more Giftable Treats:
Hot Chocolate Gift
- 2 Quart Size Mason Jars
- Printable Tag
- Ribbon or Twine
- In a large bowl, sift together powdered sugar, powdered milk, unsweetened cocoa powder, and salt. (You can also pulse them in a blender or food processor.)
- Divide the cocoa mix into two mason jars. Add ¾ cup mini marshmallows on top. Seal each jar with a lid.
- Tie the printable tag onto the jar using ribbon or twine.
- To make a cup of hot chocolate: Mix ¼ cup hot cocoa powder with ¾ cup warm milk or water. Sprinkle on a few mini marshmallows.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Download the tag above by CLICKING on the tag, and then RIGHT-CLICKING and SAVING. Open it in a program like WORD, RE-SIZE and PRINT.
Cut out and attach to the jar with ribbon/twine.
If you have friends or family that like Hot Cocoa, then they’ll LOVE this!