This Mud Pie Recipe only takes minutes to make, but it is simply divine. It’s cool and creamy – a perfect summer dessert!
There are two things I love about this Mud Pie Recipe, it’s chocolatey and refreshing – perfect on a hot summer day! It reminds me of Oreo Ice Cream Cake and Frozen Peanut Butter Pie, some of my favorite frozen treats!
Who loves Chocolate?!
Sometimes the easiest desserts are the best, and that is definitely the case with this tasty pie. Because it’s frozen, you can make it ahead of time.
What is Mud Pie, you ask? It’s a pie FILLED with chocolate—in the ice cream, the crust, and in the topping, so it’s perfect for chocolate lovers.
Traditional Mud Pie Recipe calls for coffee ice cream, but you can use any flavor you like.
I made mine with chocolate malt ice cream, and it was sensational. I also made it with cookies and cream ice cream which was equally delicious. Feel free to get creative and customize it with your favorite ice cream!
How to Make Mud Pie
PREP. For the crust, preheat the oven to 350°F.
CRUST. Finely crush the Oreo cookies in a food processor. Add the melted butter and mix until well combined. Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9″ pie dish.
Bake the crust for 8-10 minutes. Cool completely, then place it in the freezer.
ICE CREAM. Scoop ice cream into a cake pan or large bowl, chop and stir till smooth (microwave for a few seconds on a low power to soften it, if needed). Spread into the crumb crust. Cover and freeze for several hours.
WHIPPED CREAM. When ready to serve, beat whipping cream in a small bowl till soft peaks form. Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla.
Drizzle pie with homemade Hot Fudge Sauce, then top Chocolate Pie with Oreo Crust with Whipped Cream and additional chocolate cookie crumbs if desired.
Mud Pie Dessert, by nature, is a chocolatey treat. However, switch up the crust, ice cream, or toppings to make it any flavor you like! Here are some ideas.
- Ice cream flavors: vanilla, strawberry, cookie dough, mint, or Oreo.
- Crust options: regular or chocolate graham crackers, golden Oreos or mint Oreos, or Sandies cookies.
- Toppings: Match the toppings with the ice cream flavor you pick! Fruit, chopped candy bars: Kit Kat, Reeses, Snickers, Butterfinger, Almond Hershey Bar, Toffee Bar, or sprinkles.
Add a brownie layer. A classic Mud Pie recipe uses a chocolate cookie crust, a dense brownie layer, a chocolate pudding layer, and topped with a dollop of Whipped Cream.
Should you wish to add a brownie layer to my frozen ice cream mud pie recipe it is quite easy!
- Use a boxed brownie mix. Measure half of the dry brownie powder into a medium bowl.
- Divide the ingredients listed on the back of the box in half and whisk them into the brownie powder.
- Spread the batter into the baked cookie crust and bake at 350°F for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the brownie layer comes out clean.
- Allow the brownie layer to cool completely before adding the ice cream or it will melt the ice cream.
Additional toppings. Of course, you are never limited when it comes to toppings. You can completely make it your own!
Try these tasty topping suggestions on your Classic Mud Pie: mini chocolate chips, chocolate shavings, mini marshmallows, nuts, drizzle on Caramel Sauce, or pour on Chocolate Sauce.
STORE. Because the main ingredient of this Mississippi Mud Pie recipe is ice cream, it needs to be stored in the freezer. Cover with plastic wrap and then again with tinfoil before freezing.
Take it out a few minutes before serving to let it soften a bit.
If you’re not planning on consuming the entire pie at once, I recommend only putting toppings on each slice, because the pie will keep best without any toppings. Stored properly, the pie can be kept in the freezer for 4-6 months.
For more tasty frozen treats:
- Frozen Butterfinger Pie
- Strawberry Freezecake
- Cookie Dough Ice Cream Pie
- Frozen Peanut Butter Pie
- Frozen Grasshopper Squares
Mud Pie Recipe
- 24 Oreo cookies
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 gallon ice cream (chocolate or coffee)
- 1/3 cup chocolate sauce
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 Oreo cookies, crushed (optional)
- For the crust, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Finely crush the Oreo cookies in a food processor. Add the melted butter and mix until well combined. Press it into the bottom and up the sides of a 9" pie pan.
- Bake the crust for 8-10 minutes. Cool completely, then place it in the freezer.
- Scoop ice cream into a cake pan or bowl, chop and stir till smooth. Spread into the crumb crust. Cover and freeze for several hours.
- When ready to serve, beat whipping cream in a small bowl till soft peaks form. Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Drizzle pie with chocolate sauce, then top with whipped cream and additional cookie crumbs if desired.
Can’t believe how fast and easy this is!
This is my kind of pie!! Love all the chocolate! It’s incredibly easy to make & I like the it doesn’t need a million ingredients!
I give this recipe 5 STARS! So simple to make and amazingly Delicious. Could have eaten the entire Pie myself!
The best dessert on a hot summer night. Easy to put together and very satIsfying.
Oh boy! Now this is my type of dessert! Chocolate- Chocolate and more chocolate! This is AMAZING
The okder my kids get the more they stray from the traditional birthday cake. This is a perfect delicious substitute.
Thanks so much!!
OH my goodness, this looks absolutely amazing!! I would love a slice!!
Best summer dessert ever! I had two slices because it’s that good!
Oh, my, I need a slice!! This looks heavenly! I am a chocolate lover & this is my dream dessert!
Love love love it. Definitely ONCE IN A LIFETIME BIRTHDAY PIE!!!
Yay!! So glad to hear it!