This Oreo Ice Cream Cake makes for the perfect no bake dessert during warm summer months. Best of all, it only takes 5 simple store bought ingredients!
the perfect summer treat
Born and raised in Arizona, we are used to VERY hot summers. But even though we have become accustomed to them, we still like to have plenty of cool desserts to help us survive them!
One of our favorites is ice cream cake, and especially today’s Cookies and Cream Oreo Ice Cream Cake.
This ice cream cake is delicious and super easy to make. If you’ve tried our Dirt Cake and love Oreos, then I think you’ll love this one too. The recipe reminded me of the Dirt cake with all the Oreos, which made it really familiar and really yummy…. and perfect to keep us cool in the hot Arizona heat.
How to Make Ice Cream Cake
A lot of people are hesitant to make ice cream cakes, because it seems difficult, but it’s actually really simple! It does take time, since you have to freeze it after you add each layer (totaling 5 hours of freezer time), but believe me it is SO worth it because you end up with these 5 delicious layers:
- Buttery Oreo Crust
- Oreo Ice Cream – you can change this to be any ice cream that tastes good with Oreos
- Chocolate Fudge Sauce
- Whipped Cream
- Crushed Oreo Topping
COOKIES. Like I said, the actual steps themselves are really simple. You start by adding the crushed cookie crumbs to a bowl, reserving about ½ cup for the topping. Add the butter to the crushed Oreos, mix it up, then press it into the bottom of a greased 9×13 pan.
ICE CREAM & SAUCE. Spread the softened Cookies and Cream ice cream over the crust and freeze for 2 hours. Take it out, drizzle chocolate fudge sauce over the ice cream and freeze for another hour.
FREEZE. Finally, add whipped cream and sprinkle with remaining Oreos, then freeze for 2 more hours. Simple!
Ice Cream Cake TIPS:
- When making your cake soften the ice cream to about 15 degrees F so that it’s easy to spread. Be sure that it doesn’t have a chance to melt.
- Be sure to thaw the cake before serving. Place in the fridge for about 30 minutes or leave on the counter for about 15 minutes.
- Use a long serrated knife. Warm the knife in hot water dry the excess water and cut. The warm knife should slice right through the ice cream cake and create clean even slices.
- Prior to serving, thaw the cake 30 minutes in the refrigerator or 15 minutes on the counter. This will ensure the cake is at just the right temperature and consistency. Cut with a long, serrated knife for clean slices. Re warm the knife when necessary.
STORING & TRANSPORTING
How long can you keep an ice cream cake in the freezer? As a general rule ice cream cake can last in the freezer for 5-7 days and keep its flavor and texture.
If your cake does not contain cream cheese, whipped cream, eggs or butter cream then it can last for up to two months.
When storing wrap in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container.
How do I transport an ice cream cake without melting? Use an insulated ice chest to transport your ice cream cake along with ice. You have a few ice options:
- Regular ice will work for short traveling time.
- Ice packs/blue ice last longer than regular ice and don’t leave water when they’ve melted. This is a good option if you’re traveling longer or your destination, such as a park, will not have a freezer to store the cake until it’s time to eat.
- A third option is to use dry ice. This will keep your cake frozen for quite some time. Be aware that you will need extra time to thaw the cake before serving or it will be too frozen/hard to cut.
the easiest Ice Cream Cake
You really can’t go wrong with a Ice Cream Cake, right? And this recipe is so simple, anyone can do it.
This cake is great too because it can be changed up with your favorite ice cream. I think we will try Mint Chocolate Chip next time. 🙂 Or maybe even Bluebell’s Cookie Two Step which is half cookies and cream and half chocolate chip cookie dough. 😉
We hope you enjoy this easy ice cream cake!
For more cookies and cream treats, check out:
- Frozen Oreo Pudding Cake
- Oreo Peanut Butter Delight
- Cookies N Cream Cookies
- No Bake Oreo Cheesecake
- Cookies and Cream Bundt Cake
- Oreo Truffles
Oreo Ice Cream Cake Recipe
- 1 pkg Oreos crushed (see notes)
- 1/4 c butter melted
- 1/2 Gallon cookies and cream ice cream softened
- 16 oz jar hot fudge warmed
- 8 oz carton whipped topping thawed
- Add crushed cookie crumbs to a bowl reserving ½ cup for the top. Add butter and mix well. Press into a greased 9x13 pan.
- Spread softened ice cream over crust and freeze for 2 hours.
- Drizzle warm fudge over ice cream and freeze for 1 hour.
- Add whipped topping and sprinkle with reserve Oreos and freeze for 2 hours. Remove from freezer and let it set out for 15 minutes before serving. ENJOY!