This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Salty & sweet Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie makes a satisfying breakfast or afternoon snack. It’s a perfect combination of flavors!
Smoothies are the best quick and easy breakfast, and they hardly require any ingredients! I usually opt for a fruity smoothie like Strawberry Banana or Peach, but sometimes I like to have something a little more indulgent like this Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie!
healthy, sweet, and creamy!
I am a banana girl. I eat one almost every single day. If not on toast with peanut butter and honey, then in a delicious smoothie, like this Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie.
Bananas are essential in all my smoothies. Bananas take it from good to great because they add natural sweetness and help make it creamier.
In the heat of summer, smoothies are a daily thing in our home, but we really enjoy the taste of smoothies all year long! They are cold and refreshing, and help me get in more fruit, veggies (hello yummy Spinach Green Smoothie!), and protein!
Like all my smoothies, this easy Peanut Butter Smoothie gets extra protein in addition to the peanut butter because I use Greek yogurt which is super high in protein and makes it extra creamy. It’s practically a dessert!
Make an easy banana Peanut Butter Smoothie
This smoothie is so easy to make. Well, I guess all smoothies are but this one only has four ingredients, five if you add the ice.
USE FROZEN BANANAS. If using frozen bananas, do not add extra ice. Even with room-temperature bananas, you only need to add ice if your goal is to have a thick smoothie, otherwise, it will be more on the thin side.
JUST BLEND! Toss all the ingredients into your blender and puree until it’s nice and smooth. Pour the smoothie into glasses and add a straw.
If you’re feeling extra fancy, heat up some peanut butter and drizzle a little on top. Relax and sip away!
- Use ripe or overripe bananas. They’re sweeter and become creamier when blended.
- Keep a stash of frozen bananas: buy several bananas and allow them to ripen on the counter then slice. Place banana slices in separate baggies. Place smaller baggies in a larger freezer-safe airtight container. Pull from the freezer and blend into your smoothies!
Allergy substitutions. If you have food allergies don’t worry! You can still enjoy this fresh Banana Smoothie with a substitution or two.
- Peanut Butter can be replaced with nut butter like almond butter, cashew butter, pecan butter, even or sunflower butter.
- Milk. To make this dairy-free use non-dairy milk: almond milk, coconut milk, soy milk, oat milk, or even water.
- Yogurt can be replaced with almond, cashew, or coconut-based yogurt.
make a healthy smoothie
Is this Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie Healthy? Yes and no. This shake is healthier than a bowl of sugary cereal, but not as healthy as scrambled eggs.
This shake does have a fair amount of sugar. However, you can easily lower this amount by checking the nutrition information on the peanut butter, yogurt, and milk. Substitute “regular” versions with ones that have lower sugar.
Add extra nutrients with healthy add-ins:
- Add ½-1 tsp of any of the following: chia seeds, flax seeds, wheat germ, nutritional yeast, or fiber.
- Add a scoop of vanilla, chocolate, peanut butter, or banana protein powder.
- Toss in a handful of spinach.
- Add extra flavor with sliced strawberries, blueberries, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, a sprinkle of cinnamon, or cocoa powder.
- Sweeten it up naturally with ½ -1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup. You can also use Stevia or Swerve.
STORE. Leftover smoothie mix can be kept in the refrigerator for about a day. Store the smoothie in an airtight container. Make sure to fill the container to the top.
The less air in the container the better. Adding a little lemon or lime will also help prevent oxidation.
For more smoothie recipes:
- Aloha Tropical Smoothie
- Strawberry Blueberry Smoothie
- Strawberry Cheesecake Smoothie
- Pineapple Banana Smoothie
- Fruit Smoothie
- Blueberry Smoothie
Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie Recipe
- 2 bananas sliced
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- ice optional
- Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Serve immediately. Drizzle on more peanut butter if desired.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.