One of the best things about fall is all the pumpkin recipes! Who agrees? Not only do they taste fantastic, but they just make your house smell amazing. This pumpkin roll recipe is a classic dessert that I think should be a staple in every house. It just screams fall.
My mom made pumpkin rolls all the time when I was growing up, and this is her recipe. She would add nuts to it, and I actually prefer it that way, but I was out. Even without them it is an unbeatable dessert!
Cake rolls may look fancy, but they are actually pretty easy to make. I’ve got a few tips so that you can be sure that your pumpkin roll turns out just perfectly.
First up, you want to line your jelly roll pan (cookie sheet with sides) with parchment paper, then spray it with non-stick spray. Make sure you don’t underbake it. If you don’t bake it long enough, the top will be sticky and it will be challenging to roll up. You want the middle of the cake to be completely set before you take it out of the oven. As soon as you take it out, invert it onto a flour sack dishtowel that has been sprinkled generously with powdered sugar.
Loosely roll up the cake and the towel, and cool completely. I actually rolled mine a little too tightly, it can be rolled more loosely than the one below.
Next up you want to unroll the cooled cake and spread that yummy cream cheese filling to within about a half inch of the sides. We like to add a bit of crushed pineapple to our filling, but that is totally optional.
Now you want to roll the cake back up starting on the short side (without the towel of course). Wrap it in plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours. It also freezes very well, so you can wrap it up really well and freeze it if you prefer.
When you are ready to serve it, just sprinkle a little powdered sugar on top, and slice it up. Aren’t those swirls pretty?
If you’ve never made a cake roll before, I hope you’ll give it a try. It really is an impressive dessert that anyone can master. And it is always a hit!
For more pumpkin recipes, check out:
BEST Pumpkin Roll recipe:
- Cake roll:
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅔ cup pumpkin puree (I used canned)
- 1 tsp lemon juice (bottled is fine)
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 8 oz package of cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup butter softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ⅓- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple, drained really well
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs for 5 minutes. Gradually beat in the sugar. Beat in the pumpkin and vanilla.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a small bowl, then add to the pumpkin mixture. Stir till well blended.
- Pour batter into a jelly roll pan that has been lined with parchment paper and sprayed with non-stick spray. (Mine is about 15 x 11 x 1".) Bake at 375° for 15 minutes, or till cake is completely set in the middle.
- Invert hot cake onto a flour sack dishtowel that has been sprinkled generously with powdered sugar. Loosely roll up the cake and towel, and let cool completely.
- While cake is cooling, prepare filling by beating all ingredients together till smooth.
- Unroll cake and spread filling to within ½" of the edges. Roll the cake up starting at the short side.
- Wrap pumpkin roll in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator. Chill for at least two hours to blend flavors. It can also be frozen at this point.
- To serve, unwrap the pumpkin roll and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Slice in 1" slices.
I love pumpkin desserts & can’t wait to try these! Thank you Kara! Head over to Creations by Kara for more delicious recipes!