Hi there! It’s Jen again from Yummy Healthy Easy! Today I’m sharing a delicious meal that’s so easy, you can make it on a busy weeknight but also fancy enough to make when you have company over. And it’s a skinny version, which makes it even better!
Chances are if you like Italian food, you’ve either had or heard of Chicken Piccata. Sounds fancy, right? Sometimes I tend to stay away from fancy sounding meals because I think they’re going to be difficult to make. Like Chicken Cacciatore or Chili Rellenos. Sounds intimidating, right? But names can be deceiving!
Piccata is actually a method of preparing food. Basically meat is sliced (or pounded), coated, sautéed and served in a sauce. Veal piccata originated in Italy and when the Americans picked up on the dish, chicken was used in place of the veal and thus the chicken piccata was born. 😉
This is such an easy dinner. In fact, I’ve made it twice this week and my family devoured it! I made it one weeknight for a fancier meal for my husband and I and then during the week I made a bigger portion for my whole family. It’s made in one pan and is bursting with lemony, buttery, creamy flavor. So much flavor in every bite of tender chicken!
- 4-5 boneless, skinless chicken cutlets, pounded thin (about 1.25 lbs)
- salt & pepper
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. capers, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp. plain Greek yogurt, or more to taste
- angel hair pasta, for serving if desired
- sliced lemons, for serving
- parsley, for serving
- Pound chicken cutlets and season with salt and pepper. Roll in flour and shake off excess.
- Heat oil in pan. Brown chicken on both sides over medium heat. Remove to a plate when brown, set aside.
- Pull pan off the heat and add in minced garlic. Stir. Don't burn the garlic!
- When fragrant, add chicken broth and place pan back on heat. Scrape any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Heat to a light boil and let sauce cook until reduced a bit.
- Add lemon juice and capers. Simmer again until sauce is reduced some and slightly thickened.
- Add butter and melt. Add chicken and any liquid on plate. Simmer together over a medium-low heat until sauce is to thickness desired. Pull off heat. Lightly stir in yogurt (can also skip this step and eat without adding yogurt).
- Serve chicken alone or with angel hair pasta (I used the whole wheat kind) with some lemon slices on the side and parsley sprinkled over the top. Enjoy!
If you liked this easy chicken dish, be sure to try a few more:
I am salivating just reading this post… Definitely adding this recipe to the dinner rotation.
Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with us Jen!
For more delicious and healthy recipes, go visit her over at Yummy Healthy Easy!
And for even more chicken dinner recipes, check out these recipes:
For all main dish recipes, go HERE.
For all recipes, go HERE.
And get weekly emails with monthly freebies by signing up for the Lil’ Luna newsletter. 🙂
Don’t miss a thing – Sign up for the Lil’ Luna Newsletter today!
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my latest ebook!