A favorite dinner item served on the light side! This “Skinny” Chicken Parmesan has all the tasty goodness of the classic meal, without the extra calories!
Healthy Chicken Parmesan
Hey there! Jen here from Yummy Healthy Easy. Today I’m sharing one of my family’s favorite quick and easy dinners that’s lighter on the calories – Skinny Chicken Parmesan (also skinny include our Spaghetti Squash and Skinny Chicken Piccata)! I don’t know about you, but I’ve been trying to eat better this month and have devoted myself to eating healthier dinners.
The normal version of Chicken Parmesan (which we still love) is usually fried and topped with lots of sauce and cheese and served with spaghetti. My version of Chicken Parmesan uses lean chicken, pounded thin, and then coated with a light bread crumb mixture. The chicken is then baked and topped with a little spaghetti sauce and cheese. It still has all the same great flavors, but it much healthier than the original!
How to Bake Healthy Chicken Parmesan
Preheat oven to 350ºF and prepare a cookie sheet. Mix together bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning in a medium sized bowl.
Place chicken in between layers of plastic wrap and pound with mallet until about ¼” thick, or cut chicken breasts in half lengthwise so they are thinner. Beat egg in another medium sized bowl and dip each chicken breast in the egg and then dredge in bread crumbs.
Place on prepared cookie sheet. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear. Top each chicken breast with about 2 Tbsp. marinara sauce and about 2 Tbsp. mozzarella cheese. Bake for about 5-10 more minutes, until cheese is melted and sauce is warmed up. And voila!
Can Skinny chicken parm be frozen?
Yes! You can either freeze the breaded chicken before cooking, OR freeze the cooked chicken before topping it with sauce and cheese. Either way, wrap it in plastic wrap/tinfoil or seal in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to three months.
If you freeze it uncooked, let it thaw in the fridge before cooking. Cook according to the recipe.
Keeping it Light Chicken Parmesan
Although the heaps of sauce, cheese, and pasta in a regular chicken parm recipe are pretty yummy, there are ways to achieve the same delicious flavors while keeping it light. What goes with chicken parmesan to keep it light, you ask? Here are some ideas:
- Instead of pasta, serve your chicken with spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles.
- Omit the noodles all together and opt for a side salad instead.
- Roast some veggies (like broccoli or brussel sprouts) to serve on the side.
For even more baked chicken recipes:
- Bruschetta Chicken
- Baked BBQ Chicken
- Crispy Baked Ranch Chicken
- Baked Chicken Fingers
- Baked Pesto Chicken
Skinny Chicken Parmesan Recipe
A favorite dinner classic, served on the light side! This "Skinny" Chicken Parmesan has all the tasty goodness of the classic meal, without the extra calories!
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated, refrigerated
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 egg beaten
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast filets
- your favorite marinara or spaghetti sauce
- mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix together bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning in a medium sized bowl.
- Beat egg in another medium sized bowl.
- Place chicken in between layers of plastic wrap and pound with mallet until about ¼" thick.
- Dip each chicken breast in egg and then dredge in bread crumbs. Place on prepared cookie sheet. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.
- Top each chicken breast with about 2 Tbsp. marinara sauce and about 2 Tbsp. mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for about 5-10 more minutes, until cheese is melted and sauce is warmed up.
- Serve with salad, spaghetti squash, or pasta. Enjoy!