This Baked Parmesan Crusted Chicken has the perfect hint of lemon, and is oven baked to perfection – crispy on the outside, tender on the inside!
Crispy + delicious
Baked chicken is one of my favorite main dishes, and I love coming up with new flavor combinations for it. For this recipe, we decided to add a little bit of lemon that was the perfect addition to this Parmesan Crusted Chicken.
It’s simple, crispy and fantastic! It has a crunchy lemon and parmesan coating on the outside, and the chicken is tender and flavorful on the inside. Believe it or not, it was a hit with the whole family, even the kids!
Best of all, it’s super easy to make, and perfect for a busy weeknight!
How to Make Lemon Parmesan Chicken
SOAK. Prepare your chicken breasts by letting them sit in a mixture of beaten eggs and lemon juice to soak in some lemon flavor.
COAT. Dip the chicken in a mixture of bread crumbs, lemon zest, and parmesan cheese and place the chicken pieces on a baking sheet lined with parchment or foil, and spray with cooking spray.
*Note: The cooking spray helps them get crisp and golden brown in the oven.
BAKE. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Flip each piece of chicken and cook for an additional 10 minutes until they are crispy and brown (and smelling delicious!!)
SERVE with any of your favorite sides—salads, veggies, potatoes, or breads. We enjoy serving these with:
Lemon Zest: Lemon zest is taken from the outer peel of a piece of citrus fruit, in this case a lemon. First, wash the citrus. Then, use a zester, the small part of a cheese grater, or a paring knife to shave the peel. Stop when you get to the white part of the fruit. One medium lemon should yield 1 tablespoon of zest.
Make it crisp: The nice thing about baking means a healthier dish, however it can also mean you don’t get the same texture as you would when frying. Here are a few tips on how to help achieve a crispier baked parmesan chicken:
- Use the broiler: When there is about 1-2 minutes left in the bake time turn on the broiler and move the dish to the top rack. Broil for 1-2 minutes on each side. Watch very carefully because broiled foods can go from perfectly crisp to burnt in seconds.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan
Making this ahead of time: You can easily make this ahead of time. In fact, you can store/freeze both unbaked as well as baked parmesan crusted chicken.
- Unbaked: Coat chicken, place on a plate and cover with plastic wrap. Store in the fridge for 1-2 days before baking. OR, coat chicken, flash freeze for 1-2 hours, store in an airtight freezer safe container for up to 6 months. (To freeze chicken it must not have been frozen before.)
- Baked: Cook chicken, allow to cool and store covered in the fridge for 3-4 days. OR, bake chicken, allow to cool, flash freeze for 1-2 hours and store in an airtight freezer safe container and freeze for 1-3 months.
As I mentioned before, these lemon parmesan baked chicken breasts are so tender and flavorful, and they were a huge hit with the whole family! This is definitely one that we’ll make again and again!
For more baked chicken recipes, check out:
- Baked Pesto Chicken
- Crispy Cheddar Chicken
- Baked Chicken Fingers
- Crispy Baked Ranch Chicken
- Oven Baked Drum Sticks
Baked Parmesan Crusted Chicken Recipe
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- zest of one lemon
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- fresh lemon slices for serving
- Trim the chicken and cut into serving-size pieces. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg and lemon juice. Place the chicken pieces in the egg mixture, cover, and refrigerate thirty minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with parchment or foil and set aside.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the bread crumbs, parmesan, lemon zest, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Dip the chicken pieces into the bread crumbs, coating both sides. Place on the prepared baking sheet and spray with cooking spray.
- Bake 15 minutes, flip, and bake an additional 10 minutes, until crispy and golden brown. Serve with fresh lemon slices.
This chicken looks like it will be a hit with my family! Thank you for sharing this yummy recipe, Alicia! Go visit Alicia over at The Baker Upstairs for more delicious recipes!