Homemade Alfredo Sauce is rich, delicious, and whips up in minutes. Use it on pastas, pizzas, or as a dipping sauce!
When it comes to pasta, homemade pasta sauce is always better than store-bought! That’s why we love Homemade Marinara and this homemade Alfredo sauce. We use it on Fettuccine, Pizza, or for dipping Breadsticks!
homemade alfredo sauce
Fettuccine Alfredo is by far my kids’ favorite Italian dish. It’s cheesy and so comforting. While they love it plain, I like to jazz it up with chicken and veggies (or with sausage).
But the best and most important part of the dish is the sauce!!! That rich and creamy Alfredo Sauce is what makes it a best-loved meal in our home.
While I love different versions of the sauce, I must admit that I think mine is the best homemade alfredo sauce. It’s rich, creamy, has the best flavor, and only requires a few simple ingredients.
And while it may seem daunting, it’s actually super easy to whip up. It’s even perfect for a week-night meal and is on the table in under 30 minutes!
how to make alfredo sauce
I’m telling you – it’s so simple and so delicious! It only requires SIX ingredients:
- Whole Milk
- Chicken Broth
- Heavy Cream
- Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and Pepper
Most recipes use a ton of butter, but trust me when I say you won’t even miss it! This recipe is perfectly creamy and rich without it.
HEAT. Add milk, broth and fresh garlic to a skillet or saucepan on LOW-MEDIUM heat. Add salt and black pepper.
WHISK. Add heavy cream and Parmesan to the sauce and whisk until combined.
SIMMER. Simmer for a few additional minutes until the sauce’s consistency thickens. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
So easy – so yummy!
Easy alfredo tips
How to thicken: The sauce will thicken as it simmers. If you still think your sauce needs to be thicker, you can easily add some extra parmesan. You can also use flour or cornstarch:
- Flour: Scoop about ¼ cup of alfredo sauce into a separate bowl. Add 1-2 tbsp of flour and whisk until smooth. Return the mixture to the pan and stir. Repeat if needed.
- Slurry: In a small bowl, whisk together an equal amount of cornstarch with cold water. I usually do 1 tbsp of each and stir until smooth. Slowly, whisk the slurry into the simmering sauce.
- Fresh is best when it comes to Parmesan cheese. Avoid pre shredded parmesan and definitely do not use the powder kind from a shaker.
- For the creamiest sauce use heavy whipping cream. The higher fat content makes for the thickest richest sauce. You can use half and half or whole milk, but it won’t be quiet as creamy.
- Whisk, don’t stir. This will help make sure the sauce combines completely and won’t separate.
- Don’t overheat the sauce. Melted cheese can “break” if it gets too hot leaving you with a lumpy sauce.
Not just for Pasta: It’s super simple to serve this sauce over a bed of your favorite pasta noodles with the addition of your favorite protein (chicken, sausage, or even shrimp!), but it can be used for many other dishes as well such as:
- Chicken Alfredo Pizza
- chicken casseroles
- as a dipping sauce for breads
- spread on top of chicken or fish
STORED, the sauce alone can last for 3-4 days in the fridge. Just be sure to store it in an airtight container or glass jar.
You can also FREEZE the sauce, but due to the dairy and cream it may take on a different texture.
To REHEAT, do it slowly over low heat. Whisking occasionally. Adding a bit of cream or milk can help smooth it out.
For More Alfredo Recipes:
- Chicken Broccoli Alfredo
- Easy Chicken Alfredo Soup
- Chicken Alfredo Stuffed Shells
- Zucchini Alfredo Roll Ups
- Crock Pot Chicken Alfredo
Alfredo Sauce Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, low-sodium
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste I prefer Garlic Salt with Parsley Flakes
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Add milk, broth and garlic to the skillet on LOW-MEDIUM heat. Add salt and pepper.
- Add heavy cream and Parmesan to the sauce and whisk until combined.
- Simmer for a few additional minutes until the sauce thickens.
This alfredo sauce is incredible!! I won’t be buying store bought anymore! It’s so creamy & delicious!
Homemade Alfredo is so easy to make and truly the best. We make alot of recipes with this sauce.
Homemade alfredo sauce is the BEST! I like mine really garlicky, so I added a bit more – it was perfect! Thanks for the recipe!
Agreed! Love it homemade! I’m glad you enjoyed the recipe. 🙂
I’ll always take Alfredo before marinara! It’s my favorite pasta sauce. This recipe is a winner. So easy and the sauce is delicious!
Made this for dinner last night and followed the recipe exactly, it was amazing! It is the first time that I made my own Alfredo sauce and I’m glad I chose this recipe.
As always I appreciate all the tips you give for the recipe.
My family loves this Alfredo sauce. Just like a fancy Italian restaurant.