This Easy Apple Cake is extra moist and filled with cinnamon and apples. So simple—it only requires 5 ingredients! Top it off with ice cream and caramel sauce for the perfect fall treat!
apple pie in cake form
This apple cake recipe just might be the easiest, most delicious fall recipe around. It has a tender crumb that’s extra moist, and it’s filled with juicy pieces of apple. Best of all, the recipe comes together in no time because we’re using cake mix and apple pie filling. So if you need a quick and easy dessert, this apple cake is for you!
When it comes to apple recipes, I think everyone typically thinks about making apple crisp or apple pie. But sometimes switching things up is a very good thing. There are so many more possibilities when baking with apples.
just beat and bake!
For this recipe, you only need 5 ingredients:
- a box of yellow cake mix
- apple pie filling
BEAT & BAKE. You’ll add the cake mix, cinnamon, oil, eggs & pie filling to a large bowl and beat everything together. Then pour the batter into your pan, and it’s ready to bake.
SERVE. I love topping this cake with a spoonful of ice cream and caramel sauce. Because caramel + apple is always a good idea. You can also top the cake with whipped cream or whipped topping if you prefer. I also like to enjoy it without any toppings as a simple snack cake.
apple cake Muffins
If you want to make this cake into muffins rather than one large cake, simply follow the recipe exactly the same, but pour batter into muffin tins, filling each cup 2/3 of the way. Bake at 375° F for 19-23 minutes or until lightly browned.
Tips for baking and storing
- The box of cake mix will list other ingredients, but you don’t need to add them in addition to what I’ve listed.
- Sometimes I chop the apple into smaller pieces first – but that’s totally optional.
- You can also use spice cake mix if you prefer for an extra flavorful cake. I’d probably leave out the cinnamon though if you’re using spice cake because there’s lots of cinnamon in the cake mix already.
How to store apple cake: Once the cake has cooled store in an airtight container in one of the following places:
- Countertop for 2-3 days
- Fridge for up to 5 days
- Freezer for 3 months. Wrap the cake with plastic wrap whole or in individual slices then place in an airtight container or wrap again with aluminum foil.
I love this apple cake for fall because it seriously could not be easier to make, and the combination of apples, cinnamon & caramel sauce is so delicious.
For more apple desserts, check out:
- Apple Pancakes
- Best Apple Pie
- Mini Applesauce Muffins
- Apple Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Apple Oatmeal Crumble Bars
Apple Cake Recipe
- 1 box yellow cake mix*
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 21 oz can apple pie filling
- caramel sauce & ice cream , for serving
Preheat the oven to 350F degrees (or 325F if using a dark-colored pan).
Grease & flour a 9x13 inch baking pan.
Add the cake mix, cinnamon, oil, eggs and apple pie filling to a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until it's smooth (except for the chunks of apple).
Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool.
When ready to serve, top with ice cream and caramel sauce.
*Spice cake mix works too. If using spice cake, you don't need to add in the cinnamon.