Asparagus Rolls wrapped in Puff Pastry, filled with cream cheese and topped with parmesan. So simple and delicious, it’s the perfect side for any meal.
easy asparagus roll ups
I don’t know about you but I’m always on the hunt for easy and delicious side dishes. I usually lean towards potatoes or corn because that’s what I have on hand, but when Asparagus is on sale, I try to stock up. Typically, I would just make something ultra simple (like Parmesan Baked Asparagus), but my mom discovered a new and AMAZING way to use Asparagus.
Seriously, my friends, it is delicious! They’re called asparagus rolls, and it’s like having your rolls and veggies in one!!
BUT… there’s also cream cheese and parmesan cheese making it even better. The good news is that it really only takes like 5 ingredients, but the final product is really impressive! It would be a great side for dinner parties.
This is what the Puff Pastry Sheets look like at the grocery store – they are in the Freezer section by the Cool Whip – usually. 😉
how to make asparagus rolls
Prep Puff Pastry. Roll out the sheet of puff pastry and layer generously with cream cheese. Cut into 10 inch strips.
Wrap. Wrap one strip around an asparagus spear (or a bundle of asparagus if you want it to be more filling).
Brush and Bake. Brush the tops of the puff pastries with the beaten egg white, and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Place in the oven for 12-16 minutes at 350° F.
Tips for Puff Pastry dough:
- Work quickly so the dough stays cold
- Handle it as little as possible so the layers will stay light and flakey
- Use a sharp knife and cut down as opposed to back and forth like a saw.
- A good substitute is crescent roll dough
recipe Modifications and Making Ahead
We didn’t modify the original recipe much except add more cream cheese (we love it at our house).
If you want some extra flavor: Try adding a few of these ingredients to add some yummy flavor variations.
- Top with lemon zest
- Top with sesame seeds
- Mix lemon juice and dried basil into the cream cheese mix
- Add bacon bits to the cream cheese mix
- Add parmesan cheese to the cream cheese mix
Make Ahead. You can assemble these the morning of, cover and keep them in the fridge until you’re ready to bake them. You can also bake them then freeze for later. Once baked, allow them to cool and place them in the freezer for 1-2 hours. Once they’ve begun to freeze, transfer them into an airtight freezer safe container. Freeze for 1-2 months.
To reheat, allow them to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before warming them up in the oven.
Overall, this side dish was very easy to do and tasted phenomenal. I’m thinking I’ll make it the next time we grill some steak.
For more great side dishes be sure to check out:
- Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots
- Asparagus & Tater Toss
- Twice Baked Potatoes
- Fried Zucchini
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
Asparagus Roll Ups
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- flour for dusting
- 10 pieces asparagus ends trimmed (more if desired)
- 5 oz cream cheese
- 1 egg beaten
- Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll the puff pastry sheet out and layer generously with cream cheese.
- Cut pastry into 10" strips.
- Wrap one strip around one spear of asparagus (or a bundle of asparagus if you want it to be more filling).
- Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Set in oven for 12-16 minutes.