This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This cheesy baked spaghetti is filling and flavorful. It’s a simple dinner recipe the entire family will love!
The kids love it!
I have loved spaghetti since I was a little girl! In fact, it’s always been a family favorite dinner recipe and one that everyone in my family enjoyed.
We grew up on this Spaghetti recipe, and have all introduced this to our own families, which means the entire crew (cousins and all) really love that recipe.
Today’s recipe is a twist on the dinner classic because it’s a bake! This baked spaghetti was very simple to make and was so delicious! It has a bit of a nip because it has Italian sausage, but if you don’t think your kids will like that, you can just use only hamburger meat
If you are looking to venture out and try a new spaghetti recipe, I highly suggest giving this one a try. We make pasta one night a week, and for us, it’s nice to have several recipes to choose from. You better believe this one is being added to the pasta rotation ASAP!
How to Make Baked Spaghetti
There are just a few simple steps to make this baked spaghetti recipe!
PREP. Preheat oven to 350°F.
PASTA. Cook spaghetti according to package directions. While spaghetti is cooking beat egg, milk, and garlic salt in a large bowl.
Drain spaghetti and add to egg mixture and toss to coat. Pour into a greased 9×13-in. baking dish.
SAUCE. In a large skillet, cook beef, sausage, sugar, oregano, and basil over medium heat until the meat is cooked. Drain excess oil and stir in the spaghetti sauce and tomato sauce. Spoon the meat sauce over the spaghetti mixture.
BAKE. Bake for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with the cheese and fresh basil and cook an additional 15 minutes.
Let it set for a few minutes before serving.
Change up this cheesy baked spaghetti with these simple tips and variations!
Low-carb option. Spaghetti squash is a healthier alternative to normal spaghetti noodles, but it just takes a little more prep work. It may have a slightly different texture, but it would overall be a healthier option despite the copious amounts of cheese in this recipe.
Meat. If your family doesn’t care for spicy sausage, replace it with ground beef or find a sweeter, more mild sausage. You can also use ground turkey or ground chicken.
Change it Up!
Variations. Change it up with any of these simple tips:
- Top with parmesan cheese.
- Replace the oregano and basil with 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning.
- To use fresh herbs, add 1 tablespoon of oregano and 1 tablespoon of basil.
- Sneak in some vegetables like shredded carrots, shredded zucchini, or corn.
- For extra flavor, add diced bell pepper, onions, or red pepper flakes.
- The jar of spaghetti sauce can be replaced with a jar of Marinara Sauce. You can also whip up a favorite Spaghetti Sauce Recipe to use.
Storing + Serving Tips
Make ahead of time. Assemble this spaghetti bake ahead of time before baking, cover it with plastic wrap, and place it in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
STORE. Divide the leftovers into individual airtight containers and store them in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave.
FREEZE. Assemble the easy baked spaghetti in a disposable pan to not risk cracking a glass pan. Wrap it with aluminum foil and freeze it for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before baking. Top it with cheese after the initial baking time, just like it says in the instructions.
This would be a great dish to bake and take to someone in need!
Here are some of our favorites to serve with oven baked spaghetti.
Pasta recipes benefit from boiling the pasta in salted water, but it is not a must. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add 1½ tablespoons of salt for every pound of pasta you are cooking. Stir then add the pasta and cook.
This baked spaghetti recipe makes a wonderful freezer meal (see above for instructions) so go ahead and double or even triple the recipe. I recommend cooking the pasta to the cusp of al dente to help keep the pasta from getting mushy when it thaws and bakes.
This recipe has ample sauce so that the pasta should not dry out during the baking time. However, if you are worried, cover it during the first 15 minutes, add the cheese, and then bake uncovered for the last 15 minutes.
For More Favorite Pasta Dishes, Try:
- Pasta Bake
- Creamy Garlic Penne Pasta
- Chicken Pesto Pasta
- Easy Baked Ziti
- Chicken Asparagus Pasta Bake
- Sausage Penne Pasta
- Homemade Hamburger Helper
Baked Spaghetti Recipe
- 8 ounces spaghetti uncooked, broken up
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt (with parsley flakes)
- ½ pound ground beef
- ½ pound Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 14 ounces meatless spaghetti sauce
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- While spaghetti is cooking beat egg, milk, and garlic salt in a large bowl.
- Drain spaghetti and add to egg mixture and toss to coat.
- Pour into a greased 13×9-in. pan.
- In a large skillet, cook beef, sausage, sugar, oregano, and basil over medium heat until the meat is cooked. Drain excess oil and stir in the spaghetti sauce and tomato sauce. Spoon over the spaghetti mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the cheese and fresh basil and cook an additional 15 minutes.
- Let set for a few minutes before serving. ENJOY!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.