This version of a classic favorite is extra chewy and loaded with two kinds of chocolate chips. These chewy chocolate chip cookies are to die for!
Chocolate chip cookies are my perfect go to cookie. While the classic is my fave, I do love to mix it up at times with my Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookie, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie, and Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie.
An especially chewy classic
Chocolate chip cookies are an American classic! They are a best loved treat in our home. This version is extra chewy and delish!
Over the years I had read that to make a cookie chewier one thing you can do is increase the amount of brown sugar. So I decided to put it to the test and make chocolate chip cookies using only brown sugar and not any white sugar.
The result: A noticeably chewier cookie. I did use light brown sugar and can conclude that if you use dark brown sugar the chewiness will only increase. The combination of semi-sweet and milk chocolate chips adds even more chocolate-y goodness to love.
how to make chewy chocolate chip cookies
PREP. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
WET INGREDIENTS. In the bowl of a stand mixer mix together the sugar and butter. Once mixed add the eggs and the egg yolk. Mix.
DRY INGREDIENT. Add the dry ingredients, along with the vanilla, and mix. Fold in the chocolate chips. (You can reduce the amount of added chips.)
BAKE. Use a cookie scoop to drop dough balls onto a baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Larger cookies bake for 10-12 minutes.
Pretty as a Picture: I use a very simple trick to get these to look like they came from the bakery: roll the dough balls and place 5 chocolate chips right on the top of each dough ball before baking. Super easy right?
- Replace 1 tsp of vanilla with ½-¾ tsp almond extract
- Use butterscotch, peanut butter or white chocolate chips
- Add Reese’s Pieces or M&Ms
- Size: increase or decrease the size of the dough balls- be sure to adjust the bake time accordingly
Storing & FREEZING
STORE cooked baked cookies in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Toss in a piece of white bread along with the cookies to help keep them soft and chewy.
Cookies can also be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. They make a really good last minute after school snack or a treat to toss in a lunch box.
You can cover and STORE the cookie dough in the fridge for 3-4 days before baking them. For longer storage you’ll want to FREEZE it. Dough can last for up to 3 months. Thaw before baking.
- Dough balls: Shape the dough into balls and place them on a pan. Then, put the pan in the freezer until the dough balls are solid. Finally transfer then to a freezer safe Ziploc.
- Log form: roll the dough into 1 or 2 log shapes. Wrap the log(s) with plastic wrap and again with foil. Thaw and shape into balls before baking.
More Cookies to try:
- Strawberry Pudding Cookies
- Turtle Thumbprint Cookies
- Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies
- White Chocolate Snickerdoodles
- Nutella Cookie
- Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
- 2 c brown sugar light or dark
- 1 c butter melted and cooled
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 c all-purpose flour
- 1 c semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 c milk chocolate chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer mix together the sugar and butter. Once mixed add the eggs and the egg yolk. Mix.
- Add the dry ingredients, along with the vanilla, and mix.
- Fold in the chocolate chips. (You can reduce the amount of added chips.)
- Use a cookie scoop to drop dough balls onto a baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Larger cookies bake for 10-12 minutes.
You can’t beat a good chocolate chip cookie. These are perfection!
Chewy & chocolate-y…my kind of cookie!! This is our favorite recipe!
I love your basic chocolate chip recipe and hardly ever stray, but these are definitely worth making when I’m looking for something a little different. Yum!
These are our go-to every time. Always the perfect texture!!
So delicious! I love how wonderfully chewy these are! Also…there is chocolate in every single little nibble of cookie! No “corner” is left out! So good.
This is SO good!! My kids couldn’t stop eating these!
Oh yay! I’m so glad they loved the cookies!
LOVE THIS CLASSIC RECIPE!